straighten ewe out

underworld

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In your opinion, at what point does the fetus become a human being?

Fuck if I know. I didn't design the species, I'm just one of them.

The Supreme Court came up with a first trimester compromise. This seems to have worked well to consider the rights of all involved.

There is only a religious answer to your question. There is no scientific one. Semantically, a fetus is a fetus until it's born. Then it's a baby.

~18% of babies born at 23 weeks (middle of second trimester) survive albeit many with severe complications so is it the age or the removal method that denotes "birth"? One form of removal is called "C-section" and another is called "abortion". So if it's pushed out the vagina, it's a baby, if it's pulled out of the vagina by something other than a forceps it's a fetus?

If a baby born as early as 21 weeks has survived, should we then set the crime/right threshold at 21 weeks? Fetuses officially become babies at 21 weeks - sounds logical.

Semantically, a fetus is a fetus until it's born. Then it's a baby.

"~18% of babies born at 23 weeks (middle of second trimester) survive albeit many with severe complications so is it the age or the removal method that denotes "birth"? One form of removal is called "C-section" and another is called "abortion". So if it's pushed out the vagina, it's a baby, if it's pulled out of the vagina by something other than a forceps it's a fetus?"

If a baby born as early as 21 weeks has survived, should we then set the crime/right threshold at 21 weeks? Fetuses officially become babies at 21 weeks - sounds logical."

For what it's worth, the semantics still hold. Removing a survivable fetus alive from the mother is birth, regardless of the method. At birth, premature or not, a fetus becomes a baby.

The Supreme Court's restrictions on abortion are currently more stringent than your 21 week limit.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

it's not forced parenthood until it's forced fucking.!

Lust happens.

so does anger...but murder is illegal

And anger is not.

If anger = murder, then my wife would have killed me a long time ago.

and if lust = pregnancy then...well... you get the picture

so you agree that we have a CHOICE to act on our emotions, since your wife has chosen not to kill you.

and if lust = pregnancy then...well... you get the picture

so you agree that we have a CHOICE to act on our emotions, since your wife has chosen not to kill you.

Thank Baby Jebus that lust doesn't equal pregnancy. Accidents happen, however. Should we force people (teens???)to become parents just because they wanted a little sugar? Lots of folks screw up on the birth control front. A mandatory 18 year parenting sentence somehow doesn't seem to fit the crime.

As for choice, free will might be more illusion than reality. Our subconscious, our emotions, they rule our conscious 'decisions'.

My wife hasn't killed me (yet) because her anger does not translate into a desire to kill. Anger can be 'controlled', but it always expresses itself externally somehow.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but keep in mind even if lust happens, and even if the parents don't want the child, and even if they have it anyway, they can still put it up for adoption. Abortion is not the only way out of it.

Bringing a baby to term puts the mother in significant danger of many possible complications. It is also an extreme hardship, financially and otherwise. What's the point? To punish the mother for an indescretion (having sex) that just happens to be legal? Also, society does not necessarily benefit from the addition of yet one more unwanted child.

Do you really believe that shit? Idi Amin, yeah, he really suffered for all his crimes against humanity. Think GW is going to suffer for his irresponsibilities? Dream on. The fucker sleeps like a baby.

Karma is so spotty and unreliable that I wouldn't be touting it as a motivator for responsible behavior.

People should be responsible for their actions. No shit. Sometimes they fuck up accidentally. Sometimes they get pregnant. Abortion is a legal means to prevent that mistake from compounding itself into the much more serious mistake of parenting an unwanted child, particularly when unprepared to do so.

What is all this punishment shit? A couple's accidental pregnancy is not illegal, folks. And frankly, unless you're one half of that couple, it's really none of your business.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Studies show that in North America, the more religious a community is, the more likely its teenagers are to not take precautions when they have intercourse, and the more likely is teen pregnancy as a result.

Ahhhh..the gene works in mysterious ways.

Studies show that in North America, the more religious a community is, the more likely its teenagers are to not take precautions when they have intercourse, and the more likely is teen pregnancy as a result.

Bible belt divorce rates are significantly higher as well.

So much for family values.

Source please?