Duke Rape Case Speculation Thread

ClimbingPanther

Does anyone else find Duke University's actions regarding their students disturbing? Guilty until proven innocent, in effect. Regardless of the charges and evidence brought against the kids, why would Duke treat these guys like criminals until they're convicted of a crime, as well as cancelling the lacrosse season and likely forcing the resignation of the lacrosse coach? Did Duke students sign a contract about not drinking alcohol and not hiring strippers? Duke screwed up a lot of lives over something that's being found out to be a big unfunny joke.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've been following this case a little and have been more appalled by how much the press jumped on it. not surprising since it has all the earmarks of a sensationalist case: privileged white kids, upper crust protectionism, and of course sex sex sex. then the DA saw political paydirt and has now been accused of unethical conduct and may be taken off the case. i think duke u. are just covering their PR asses given the media flurry - sad but inevitable. things like playing lacrosse, or attending a university for that matter, are privileges, not rights. i think it would be tough for duke to pretend it didn't happen until a verdict was reached.

i think the worst thing about this is there is so much sexual assault and harrassment out there but the 'justice system' puts its chips on a case that turns out to be bogus. i'm starting to see tawana brawley all over again. but then i don't have all the facts...

Edited by lI1|1!

I would like to know what E-Rock thinks about these latest revelations - since he was the first to attack those who dared question the methodology of the prosecution in this case. It's not-so-funny that the same folks who claim love for liberty most loudly are the same who toss it aside in the name of political correctness, stereotypes and vindictiveness.

E-Rock should be ashamed.

I would like to know what E-Rock thinks about these latest revelations - since he was the first to attack those who dared question the methodology of the prosecution in this case. It's not-so-funny that the same folks who claim love for liberty most loudly are the same who toss it aside in the name of political correctness, stereotypes and vindictiveness.

I think those fuckers should be castrated and burned alive at the stake. I think she deserves a medal or something.

i've been following this case a little and have been more appalled by how much the press jumped on it. not surprising since it has all the earmarks of a sensationalist case: privileged white kids, upper crust protectionism, and of course sex sex sex. then the DA saw political paydirt and has now been accused of unethical conduct and may be taken off the case. i think duke u. are just covering their PR asses given the media flurry - sad but inevitable. things like playing lacrosse, or attending a university for that matter, are privileges, not rights. i think it would be tough for duke to pretend it didn't happen until a verdict was reached.

i think the worst thing about this is there is so much sexual assault and harrassment out there but the 'justice system' puts its chips on a case that turns out to be bogus. i'm starting to see tawana brawley all over again. but then i don't have all the facts...

Looks like Mr. DA is going to get sactioned or disbarred by his state bar. He did however make the right choice to get re-elected. I don't think he's going to keep his job though.

Too bad the DA has immunity.

I think those fuckers should be castrated and burned alive at the stake. I think she deserves a medal or something.

You don't like little rich white boys - so to hell with the truth and justice?

You should at least listen to this story and do a bit more reading before you get the steak-knife and the kindling ready.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6677709

I have not read JayB's story, but I can only guess that we really don't know what happened. Did the stripper simply make it up? Maybe. My guess is that College authorities and the prosecutor had some reason to believe there was something to the story. But that is only a guess.

As with the OJ story, or the Wenatchee sex ring case, or so many other events, we will never really know what happened. I always wonder what is the motivation for folks who beat the drum over their interpretation of a story like this whihc is high on media frenzy and low on factual certainty or any clear connection to an important public interest. At best, we should be skeptical of anybody who claims to know what is truth and justice, and who proclaims the arrogance or ignorance of those who don't conclude the same thing they do from this story.

As with the OJ story, or the Wenatchee sex ring case, or so many other events, we will never really know what happened. I always wonder what is the motivation for folks who beat the drum over their interpretation of a story like this whihc is high on media frenzy and low on factual certainty or any clear connection to an important public interest. At best, we should be skeptical of anybody who claims to know what is truth and justice, and who proclaims the arrogance or ignorance of those who don't conclude the same thing they do from this story.

What was the significance of the half orange?

I have not read JayB's story, but I can only guess that we really don't know what happened. Did the stripper simply make it up?

I can't help but notice that the only people who get referred to as their profession in these types of cases (and murder cases) are strippers and prostitutes. I never hear the victim get referred to as "the project manager" or "the engineer" if that happened to be the profession of the woman who was attacked.

These are people, they are women. Please show a little respect.

I have not read JayB's story, but I can only guess that we really don't know what happened. Did the stripper simply make it up? Maybe. My guess is that College authorities and the prosecutor had some reason to believe there was something to the story. But that is only a guess.

It's an audio file. No reading necessary.

if a brown man can get away with killing 2 white folks with a knife, there is no garantee that we will see justice here either. all cases have a price.

since when does law equal justice.?

Law and Justice are not the same. Law does not guarantee justice.

Justice is not guaranteed by the law.

You have to fight to protect yourself and if you want to be righteous, it won't matter because the opposing attorney will screw you. When things get sticky you need your own lawyer. Do not skimp in this or you will regret it.

As for Mr. DA...his state DA association colleagues are now asking him to recuse himself from this case. As far as DAs go, they all kinda suck so it's surprising to see them outing one of their own. That has to say something. The state bar is also investigating him. He probably has a headache.

Even rich white boys deserve some fairness (sort of..as if things weren't already more fair for the wealthy). They will get justice, their daddy's did not skimp on represenation.

But this ultimately will not be about rich white boys hiring strippers or strippers/students making false claims. It will probably end up being about the DAs actions to get re-elected in a majority black town.

If I were that DA, I would probably be looking for a bar exam in an out of the way state to start my family law (divorce) practice. Lot's of lying goes on in that particular niche of the law.

This should be a pretty interesting time for that DA.

I have not read JayB's story, but I can only guess that we really don't know what happened. Did the stripper simply make it up?

I can't help but notice that the only people who get referred to as their profession in these types of cases (and murder cases) are strippers and prostitutes. I never hear the victim get referred to as "the project manager" or "the engineer" if that happened to be the profession of the woman who was attacked.

If they had a clown for entertainment at their party and an incident happened while he was being a clown at their party, he'd probably be referred to as the clown? Maybe at least? I think if she was a rape victim while just hanging out at home, she would not be called "the stripper." Just "the woman." Happened at school? "The student."

I suspect people are generally kept in the context of their case and in this case, the stripper was her context. Maybe I'm wrong though, I don't pay that much attention.

Pay attention over the next year when you read the papers about rape and murder victims. You will notice the consistancy with which prostitues or strippers are called out by their vocation whereas others will not be. Mark my words, you will see it over and over again.

If they had a clown for entertainment at their party and an incident happened while he was being a clown at their party, he'd probably be referred to as the clown? Maybe at least? I think if she was a rape victim while just hanging out at home, she would not be called "the stripper." Just "the woman." Happened at school? "The student."

I suspect people are generally kept in the context of their case and in this case, the stripper was her context. Maybe I'm wrong though, I don't pay that much attention.