best size of bolt for basalt?

suckbm

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you really need to use profanity? next time i think it would be a bit more appropriate for you as a moderator to show a bit more restraint. you should be striving for proffessionalism. maybe next time try it like a pro, like this------- " hi guys! i noticed with a slight twinge of dismay that people are starting to get a little "heated" around here. we can't have that on this type of family website. so let's all take a deep breath and remember we are all friends in the end! YAYYYYYYYY!!"

Oh, I think he's referring to my acronym, which is no certainly no more an obscenity than snafu, fubar, or rtfm, other acronyms in the common lexicon.

I don't see the need to get all shirty about drilling times and bit composition, this thread is just a request for technical information, not a pissing match. If the babysitter is too mean for you, go tell mommy.

there's that same non professional ethic i am referring to. three posts into it and YOU are the one engaged in a pissing match, just couldn't resist the little comments could you? it's fun isn't it? i don't think you are realizing your true potential as a mod there whitey. go tell mommy? judging by that comment you must still live with yours. BTW i gave a bunch of "techie" info before YOU and i got into a pissing match. seems like we were getting opinions from several different viewpoints until YOU came along. thanks for keeping the streets safe, keep up the good work

123(etc), considering in your very first post here you start off calling someone an asshole, and virtually every post in your short history has the words fuck, dick, or contains offers to duke it out, you're an odd duck to pretend to be all twitchy about implied profanity in an admonishment to play nice, which was not directed at you personally but several others as well.

Professional? No one pays me to deal with this stuff. If you have a sincere complaint about my actions or attitude, take it up with the Administrators here. Mods have been sacked before.

How the hell is he off by that long are you seriously saying it would take 50-70 min to hand drill?? if so you in fact are off.

Yes, I do think it would take someone who had never hand drilled a hole before 40-60 min to drill a 1/2" by 4" hole. (my 20-40 min addition was on top of Kevbone's original 20.)

132435465768-

i've never even broke a 1/4 inch bit let alone a 5/16. bent them though. if you've "shattered" two then maybe YOU should start weaving and bobbing instead of being scared and overzealous. also, you say carbide tipped as though this makes the shaft of the bit stronger, wrong.

How does me saying "carbide tipped" imply the shaft is stronger? You misunderstood me. The carbide tip shattered renderring it useless not the shaft of the bit.:rolleyes:

I drill holes nearly every day at work and although rare, I have had this happen with 1/4" and 3/8" as well. (it was with my roto hammer not a hand drill) The $40ish Hilti bits that have an entire carbide tip instead of just the insert don't seem to be a problem.

As far as "weaving and bobbing" go, it makes for a sloppy hole (something I try and avoid...) and a split shank button head won't seat properly in a sloppy-ass hole.

...and next time I'm hand drilling on lead I'll try and remember your advice, "weave and bob" instead of being frightened and striking the drill too damn hard. :fahq:

How the hell is he off by that long are you seriously saying it would take 50-70 min to hand drill?? if so you in fact are off.

Yes, I do think it would take someone who had never hand drilled a hole before 40-60 min to drill a 1/2" by 4" hole. (my 20-40 min addition was on top of Kevbone's original 20.)

whoops! I didnt read that far... I was thinking 3/8x2.25, but I see what your saying about being a noob. why does everybody have to wind up bitching now?!?! :fahq:

why does everybody have to wind up bitching now?!?! :fahq:

It's in the corp. by-laws - happens everytime someone says "BOLT". BTW, people commonly see that word and think "Bitch" too, happens all the time.

Common miscornception when discussing bitches, err, bolts.

OW, it might be that 132 is just pissed cause you banned him once but I might be grasping straws here, or was it Minx who banned Flyingpig?

How does me saying "carbide tipped" imply the shaft is stronger? You misunderstood me. The carbide tip shattered renderring it useless not the shaft of the bit.:rolleyes;

i did misunderstand you

I drill holes nearly every day at work and although rare, I have had this happen with 1/4" and 3/8" as well. (it was with my roto hammer not a hand drill) The $40ish Hilti bits that have an entire carbide tip instead of just the insert don't seem to be a problem.

i have a te76 that i have broke 3/4 inch bits with $$$! i just feel that if you are breaking bits hand drilling you are hitting it too hard but it sounds like you already know that

As far as "weaving and bobbing" go, it makes for a sloppy hole (something I try and avoid...) and a split shank button head won't seat properly in a sloppy-ass hole.

...and next time I'm hand drilling on lead I'll try and remember your advice, "weave and bob" instead of being frightened and striking the drill too damn hard. :fahq:

you didn't really take me literally on the weaving and bobbing did you??? it wasn't literal, it was a joke. :rolleyes: and i wouldn't have responded to the post in the first place if i didn't have experience hand drilling on lead myself.

Professional? No one pays me to deal with this stuff. If you have a sincere complaint about my actions or attitude, take it up with the Administrators here. Mods have been sacked before.

see? that wasn't so hard was it? being a responsible moderator. congratulations!

OK be sensitive. In the mean time :hcluv: