current thoughts on the circut in portland

enelson

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's alright, but best to avoid it when it's busy if you're interested in doing any continous climbing or 4x4 type stuff (i.e. training). Way too many people and little kids running around below you. Gyms seriously suck unless you're just there to take your shirt off and pose down with your super sweet beanie. Portland needs one of these: (Twight Fan Boy)

I'm there 3+ nights a week. I'm over 30 and climb mostly alpine and trad till I moved to Portland 2 years ago. Andy (the owner) was one of the first people I met around here. His big goal,along with the rest of the crew, is to build community and make a chill place to go hangout.

If you go in there looking for a scene you'll find one. It's not encouraged. It's very popular with College kids and early on the weekend they do alot of Birthday parties.

I'd recommend giving it a try, meet some of the locals.

My names Jeff get in touch if you're going to come by. I'll climb with you. bigdrink.gif

The circuit has a serious "scene". You should for sure where your beanie! That way, you won’t get as many stairs!

What huh?

Damn, guess I gotta get out more often so I can understand all of this. Never been to the circuit enelson, sheltered life live I, say I.

BTW: the gym Jones link says: "Gym Jones is not a cozy place. The work itself selects for character. With the support of a like-minded group, dedicated to The Art of Suffering, commitment assures dramatic results. Gym Jones is a private, invitation-only facility. All candidates must petition. If you think you have what it takes come stand on the porch."

Pretty safe bet they'd kick my slacker ass out of the door in 2 min flat if'n I ever got in.

Suffering? Crap, they got a line for suffering?

I can say that we try very hard to encourage an open and friendly vibe. Personally, I have always disliked gym princes and elitest cliques. I believe everyone has something great to contribute to our "scene" here. Trying to be all things to all people is challenging, and some people will have complaints about us, but I think the vast majority of the people that climb here will say that we have a very unpretentious and laidback clientele and staff, and a great vibe. We are a community here. And we are always happy to welcome new people into our community. Thanks for your kind words Matt and Jeff.

Andy

• 1 month later...