Engineering Quiz...is this real or not?

bwrts

unless snopes is doing hoaxes now...

i'm guessing the arm angled up into the bridge when it hit, basically penetrating the bridge from beneith rather than slicing it.

yoda.gif

What really surprised me was the low cost of the repairs to the bridge, only $134,000. I would have thought it would be great deal more.

Contractor bidding on job. "Yeah, yeah, I'll have her fixed up in no time". (Turns to flunky) "Jimmy, better place that big Bondo order, pronto."

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off that's no 8 ton excavator. I can't make out the model number but just looking it appears to be closer a 315-320 Cat sized machine.

You are correct in that it is not an 8-ton machine. It is a Hyundai 290LC, which is about 40% heavier (28 MT, or about 31 tons) than the Cat models (20 MT, or about 22 tons) you cite.

Second, the visible rebar doesn't look like inch and a half to me.

There are many different sizes of rebar that are incorporated into your typical interstate highway overpass. Since your eyes deceived you with respect to the size of the machine, I would venture to say that they are deceiving you again with respect to the size of the rebar.

Since I call BS on the word problem part I guess I call BS on the photos as well.

I would suspect the word problem part is just some shit some know-nothing data entry schmoe came up with to make the snopes.com article appear more appealing to the masses. Kind of like the way reporters come up with schmaltzy headlines to grab interest for an article. It has nothing to do with the validity of what actually happened. To draw the conclusion that you do from your analysis is, shall we say, banal. This really did happen. End of story.

it's the elbow of the big digger arm sticking through the deck of the bridge.

It's got an awfully long boom then. I guess it's one of those extra long reach ones.

The Hyundai 290LC can be ordered with a "long reach" boom and arm option, as indicated below: 590961-R290LC-7longreach.jpg

However, I don't think that combination was in place on this machine. I say this because a machine with that kind of attachment would have required removal of the boom and arm for transport purposes in order for the boom/arm combo to clear the rear of the tractor cab. You can sort of picture this if you look at the available range of motion of the two hydraulic pistons that control the boom in the pic above. Even with the available forward pivot of the pistons, you would never lower the boom/arm combo low enough to ever get a permit to run down the highway.

A typical boom length (from the anchor hinge at the excavator body to the "elbow") is along the order of 22 to 28 feet, manufacturer dependent of course. That's easily long enough to produce the results shown in the pics.

590961-R290LC-7longreach.jpg.1295447e3c8d1bda92824590d20c0fb3.jpg

In spite of my best efforts at scepticism, I'm in the "believer" camp on this one. As for the mechanics of it all, the hole in the side of the bridge in photo #3 is the point of impact where the leading end of the arm punched through, which would have caused the arm to drive upwards and slice through the deck. As the whole machine came screeching to a halt, the force would have caused the cab to swing up and forwards, slamming up into the deck from below and causing the damage to the underside of the bridge seen in pics 1 and 3. Seems pretty simple, really - the kind of thing I could do in my sleep.

There are many different sizes of rebar that are incorporated into your typical interstate highway overpass.

Thank you.

Since your eyes deceived you with respect to the size of the machine, I would venture to say that they are deceiving you again with respect to the size of the rebar.

Or maybe, after spending a good chunk of my life turning such things into rubble...and in the process sending a few thousand tons of rebar to the scrap yard...they are not.

5164Bell_Street_0.jpgshocked.gif

5164Bell_Street_1.jpgbigdrink.gif

I would suspect the word problem part is just some shit some know-nothing data entry schmoe came up with to make the snopes.com article appear more appealing to the masses.

Maybe. Or maybe the pictures are just some shit somebody concocted too.

Or maybe, after spending a good chunk of my life turning such things into rubble...and in the process sending a few thousand tons of rebar to the scrap yard...they are not.

Or maybe, after spending a good chunk of my life designing and constructing things that look strikingly similar to what you turn into rubble, we can choose to agree to disagree. I will not engage in an argument about whose point of view has more validity in this regard.

I build; you destroy. Such is the way of things... Peace. bigdrink.gif

• 2 weeks later...