Buying a used rack

jfreeburg

I've been borrowing a rack from a friend for the summer and now I'm thinking I'd like to buy it from him. Nothing had been fallen on before I got it-the nuts were new, hexes slightly used, and cams used. Everything is in good condition. What's a fair asking price? 50% of original price? 65%? I think the new price of everything is about $650.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how good a friend and whether they're employed or need the cash. A good friend will cut you a break and forego the opportunity cost of selling it on eBay. If they're unemployed or need the cash, you shouldn't squeeze 'em too hard. Fair market on used new gear with no history is probably 50%. You've had it since the stuff was practically new and know its history.

So now, how good a friend are you?

Well, he's got a job, I've got a job, but he has 2 racks and I have none. I might make a little more than him (he doesn't work full time), but he has more time off to go climbing, so he should feel bad for me. In all fairness, he should sell it to me for real cheap.

shoot, remind me not to sell my gear out west. Out east, practically new looking nuts sell for about 80% of retail, and if you knew the history of the cams they'd be at 80% of retail too...

Consider it charity bestowed on the unfortunate souls who own rock-climbing gear and live in the East.

I told my buddy that I wanted to buy his rack. I asked him what he wanted for it and he told me to make him an offer.

He's probably checking out CC as well trying to figure out what he should take. I'm not trying to rip him off, just find a fair price for both of us.

I've sold lotsa gear to friends, almost always 50%. What is 10% either way between friends? Recently sold almost a full rack to my buddy who is wanting to learn to lead. It was all in good condition, sold it for 50%, maybe even less. Thing is whenever I need it I can always borrow it, and most of the time he'll be with me anyway.

If either of you still feels guilty about something pound 2 sixpacks together and you'll end up at 50% I guarantee it.