W.Face Wall of Stuart/S.Face center Big Kangaroo

layton

Bailed on both this weekend, might go back, might not?

There was a homemade bail bolt 1/3 of the way up the W.Face Wall of the West ridge of Stuart with "1997" stamped on it. We bailed there too. Extremely steep hard climbing to that point, even steeper and harder above. May require lots of cleaning or aid/bolts.

Who tried that route?

Also, the center of the S.Face of Big Kangaroo has a mindblowinly steep line up the center of it (looks like almost 100% aid or 5.12-5.14 crack) marred only by massive chimneys at the top, and about a 50 foot section of blankness 100' off the deck to get in the line. There was a bolt with some white tat on it before the crack starts. Doesn't look like that person/party went higher than that since I'd expect at least a few more bolts. Who attempted that line?

I'll post pics after a bit.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NW Face of W ridge on stuart, route in direct center.

136IMG_2337.JPG

136IMG_2308.JPG

136IMG_2330.JPG

136IMG_2312.JPG

136IMG_2317.JPG

136IMG_2321.JPG

136IMG_2324.JPG

136IMG_2329.JPG

136IMG_2333.JPG

136IMG_2341.JPG

136IMG_2302.JPG

136IMG_2340.JPG

S.Face Center on Big Kangaroo. Crack goes up and under l side of big roof. Blank below crack (not shown in photo).

Warning: the col requires a rapell of a pin, and re-climbing it is eXtra sketchy right now (5.9 hyperchoss, double moat, death block top-out, hand-jamming in ice)

136DSC00644.JPG

just right of center, immediately right of the huge yellow roof.

The 1968 route goes up more of the ridge on the left side of the face.

The wall is more like 900 feet tall in the center, instead of beckeys 600' est. We started up a splitter hand/fist crack almost immediately below the tree which headed up and left through an overhang/squeeze, did a handrail and up. It's the most obvious line up the middle of the wall, besides the chundle corner dead center

Two guys from the Cle Elum area did a route up the center of the face on Stuart in the mid-1990s (can't remember specifically if it was 1997), with a bolt here and there from what I understand. I believe they did top out on the wall, but without freeing their line.

That may have been it, although the place where the bolt we saw was totally completly unecessary. There were multiple bomber cracks to build an anchor and a good stance. Why someone would hand drill a bolt there and waste so much time is beyond me. What also makes me think that this route is uncompleted is exactly 150' below that bolt is a tree with webbing on it. Why would they leave the webbign on the tree?

Above the bolt was a dirty and bottoming crack that said "bail here lest you suffer"