Where do you spend your money

jon

How much do you spend on climbing gear a year?  

363 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend on climbing gear a year?

I've put together this little survey that I hope people will take the time to fill out. I'm not doing this for anyone in particular, although I may use the data for future sponsorship stuff for cc.om. Any dialogue about the topics is cool as well. I think it's important to help save our local shops with things becoming tougher and tougher with online competition.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting but not suprising results so far!

I'm curious to see how the % spent at b&m stores varies with location. When I lived in PDX I spent more at stores because they actually carried climbing gear. I think the closest full service climbing shop to me now is 250 miles away in Bishop.

Price is a big thing between me and the people who I know.

The larger the price, the more we are willing to search for a better price.

Brick and mortars would do well if they had, "Weekly Hot Item" stuff. Kind of like grocery stores have a highly discounted product to bring people in.

I would want to know how many of the respondents are eligible for pro-deals (or get them anyway...)

very good point - the pro form would skew things A LOT. My shopping habits varied significantly depending on if I was "in the industry" or not. In = try everything on and then prodeal it (since stores never carry a companies full line this often got me in a lot of stores searching for the item and more often than not - I bought some additional something while there.) When not in the industry all bets are off - 1) Finding who's got what I want local or online. 2) if hardgood and more than one place had it - buy from best instock price. 3) shoes, jackets etc - find and hope it's on sale. 4) Learned from a buddy to ALWAYS look through the sale racks at stores (Valhalla Pure esp) Got me a cloudveil jkt slightly used for like $75 once SWEET

I think it could be interesting to look at how long people have been climbing and how much they spend. Newer climbers would spend more as they accumulate gear and equipment. Once I made the investment in my rack and other gear I really didn't need to spend that much on gear annually, but those first couple years I spent a lot.

Good point made by chelle. I blew my wad 20 years ago in college when I first got into this game, but I'm still using the same old stoppers, Friends, hexes, shoes, packs, helmets, harnesses, jumars, bolt kit, pitons, ice axes, biners, etc. I've added to the original rack since then, and changed ice tools, screws, crampons, and plastic boots a few years back, but my major expenditures on this hobby have long since ended, especially since getting married/buying a house/having kids, etc. Now, I spend more in gas, food, and beer/wine going climbing than on any other climbing-related stuff. I replace a rope every few years, and buy the odd trinket (Reverso, tibloc, etc.) every now and again. Mostly, it's climbing books and training (first aid, rescue, avy awareness, etc.) that I spend my money on now.

I am eligible for pro deals through my association with mountain rescue, but I have never used one, even though I coordinated the deal for the unit. I would rather go over to see John at Hyperspud than use a pro deal. I still believe in supporting the B&M shops whenever I can. I even get my books from John, rather than from Amazon. If he doesn't carry it, that's different.

Three climbing shops have been in Yakima since I came out here 18 years ago. Sven's went OOB in the early 90s, then the Lochrie brothers and their friend Todd opened MSY in the late 90s. They went OOB early in the millenium. If you live in Yakima or are passing through on your way to Tieton, you really ought to stop by Hyperspud and buy something, or John might close that shop up, too.

I think it could be interesting to look at how long people have been climbing and how much they spend. Newer climbers would spend more as they accumulate gear and equipment. Once I made the investment in my rack and other gear I really didn't need to spend that much on gear annually, but those first couple years I spent a lot.

Might be able to look at that in another survey.