SAR on the Apron *DELETED*

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but could someone please tell these people to get their ego under control?

you were there. perhaps you could have told them.

Why do they have to pick the busiest climbs on the busiest day to practice rope rescue?

you were there. you could have asked them.

just a logical observation.

From "Kix"

...just a logical observation.

Logical yes, appropriate...not really. Sometimes situations don't allow for proper "venting", a heads up thread is sometimes a nice way to get a concensus, or perhaps an answer from the offending party if infact they peruse the board. Or simply a chance to vent outside the situation.

After the fact, smart alec replies don't help. hellno3d.gif

From "Kix"

...just a logical observation.

Logical yes, appropriate...not really. Sometimes situations don't allow for proper "venting", a heads up thread is sometimes a nice way to get a concensus, or perhaps an answer from the offending party if infact they peruse the board. Or simply a chance to vent outside the situation.

After the fact, smart alec replies don't help. hellno3d.gif

Plus, such a course of action would violate the PNW's tradition of passive aggressivism. Better to just shut up about it at the time, then bitch about it later.

Given that several of those people live in Squamish and Squamish the home base of the team involved, where would you suggest that they practice multi-pitch rescue?

Where do you think the odds are highest (around Squish) of needing a multi-pitch rescue?

Assuming that most if not all of the team has jobs, perhaps scheduling on a weekend makes sense?

Assuming that the practice was planned weeks or months in advance, perhaps excessive crowding (even by Apron standards) was unexpected (but the plans were made in advance).

It is also ironic that from what I gather, the team involved got a call-out while doing their practice on the Apron. The accident was on…the Apron.

Cheers,

Edited by fishstick

If you read the original post you see that what ticked off the person was the perceived lack of civility on the part of the SAR people. No one is exempt from being polite and no one can "reserve" the rock. If you are on it and are climbing it, it is yours. Cutting in, no, that's not kosher.

While waiting to climb St. Vitus dance a group of SAR members cut in front of me and started climbing while the next team was seconding

hey im climbing this route next is far from inappropriate..what I would of said would have been inappropriate..

Now the other day in Squamish was one of the busiest of recent memory but I just had to pipe up about an experience that pissed me off on Saturday. While waiting to climb St. Vitus dance a group of SAR members cut in front of me and started climbing while the next team was seconding. crazy.gif They then started bringing up two seconds and just adding to the chaos. After climbing Calculus Crack they started setting up fixed lines to practice some rescue techniques. What pissed me off was their general demeanor. They took great delight in letting me know that Memorial Crack "is out of bounds" and then when I went to eat my lunch on Broadway they told me to basically piss off because I was in the way. Not only this, but they fixed lines all across the top of the Apron. I am usually a very laid back guy and god bless the hundreds of SAR members who volunteer their time for a good cause but could someone please tell these people to get their ego under control? Why do they have to pick the busiest climbs on the busiest day to practice rope rescue? confused.gif

wazzup.gifthumbs_down.gif

I think you should post this bs on gripped.com or squamishclimbing.com -- not many squamish folks check this board.

we went by the base of st vitus to do rock on and saw the large group at the base. i was glad we had chosen a different route. i guess they climbed up to broadway and then lowered a pretend victim all the way down the slab.

hopefully they were not too busy praticing to help the guy who actually got hurt grin.gif

Cut in front of you? Carrying all that extra horsehit like heavy litters, extra ropes, pullys, steel this and that - they must have been a larger group, they just "cut in front of you"?!

Wow. I thought I was old, fat and slow, but you must be real slow dude.

I suspect SAR has a version of this as well. Having been on that side of the fence, I think it's rare for folks like that to be dismissive and rude.

My experience has been the opposite. Sorry you had a bad experince, but I'm glad they are training as well. Hope you got some good routes in anyway.

I guess SAR members all have day jobs and the best time for them to practice is the same time as yours. Still, if they're planning on doing something like that I think a friendly heads up post on squamishclimbing or gripped could save a lot of frustration.

As was already mentioned and re-emphasized by catbirdseat was the fact that they felt they could do whatever they wanted to do; including, cutting in front of us, telling us what we could and couldn`t climb, where we could eat, etc.

BTW, we were not slow at all, just had some decency and respect for the other climbers by waiting until the other party had at least gotten off the ground! boxing_smiley.gif

We were waiting right there ready to climb and they just ignored us and started on the pitch.

I would have enjoyed telling them to F-off but I was outnumbered and the situation didn`t really present itself.

Well, you don't give your real name, and you've got 2 posts so far and both of them are complaining about (probably unpaid) people training to save other peoples lives.........

Just an observation, not trying to come off as rude or anything.

Regards:

Bill

Well, you don't give your real name, and you've got 2 posts so far and both of them are complaining about (probably unpaid) people training to save other peoples lives.........

Regards:

Bill

Well! Bill, I believe your razor sharp size whittling may have inspired Nosoup to delete the original gripe!

Regards:

Bill

Well! Bill, I believe your razor sharp size whittling may have inspired Nosoup to delete the original gripe!

Nosoup, I didn't mean to shut you down like that. Sorry dude.

It could be very likely that someone on this board knows those folks, and can relay your complaint to them. If they were out of line, sometimes a gentle reminder can really help out.

We are all really blessed to have people like them, that what they do is important - but it's a good thing to remind them as well that they don't own the cliffs if thats the case too.

Please don't let this be your last post. Tell us of how your day went! The good climbs you like or a short story.

Post a pic if you have one. Stick around.

The accident mentioned above was on memorial crack. From what I gather one party was asked to move because they were having lunch within the perimeter where the team was working

to lower and then transport the victim.

The concern has been forwarded.

Edited by fishstick