Buying Land Overseas/Internationally?

John Frieh

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. Some countries are o.k. while others are not. If it is a resort area that is really touristy, you have a better chance. If you are looking fo some remote area, better plan on living there of hiring caretakers. In Costa Rica, I looked at some property and found out some interesting information like thegovt. owns all beachfront property and will only lease the land. No clear title was given to land, and squatters rights still existed. Many landowners who lived on the properties would clear cut their haciendas just to make it easier to monitor and protect themselvesf rom squatters living on their land. Iwould stay away unless you plan on living there. I would also hire a local attorney to do all the paperwork for you.

Look before you leap - and check YOY valuations if you can. Not many popular locations overseas have escaped the effects of the global credit bubble that's been driving property markets around the world since late 2000-01.

My friend purchased about 5 acres in Patagonia, about the easiest purchase he ever made. Look at all the land Tompkins owns! If you want I could probably put you in contact with some people who could help.

Yeah, but purchasing (anyone will take your money) and owning with real, effective, enforceable property rights are two different things..... just look at the land Tompkins 'owns'. From the people I know in Argentina currently things are alright, partly because the Argentine's need the money. That's all subject to change though...

Ryland, nice to hear from you about this. I was thinking of getting something in Costa Rica as well soon.

There is large Ex-pat community there and you generally don't hear bad stories......

??

Like to hear the product of you results John when you winnow out the results and information.