1st Gen 4runner good for camper?

RedBeard

Hello all....

I am a lurker and I've finally got something to post.

Any of you monkeys put a bed platform in the back of a first generation 4runner for geurilla camping? I've seen quite a few canopied pickups with beds in th back, and a few minivans, but wonder about doing it (and doing "it" smileysex5.gif) in a 4runner since I've got a good opportunity to get one at the moment.

Post up!!! Especially with pics, PG-13 please.

Thanks,

Red

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will answer this with the expectation that the conditions mentioned by cj001f are soon forthcoming . . .

If you fold up the back seats in the 4run the back space is exactly 5'9". I am 6'1" thumbs_down.gif

Rip out the seats altogether and it could work. Or, if you actually have a functionaing tailgate, just lower it down and you can have your footsies in the rain. Would be cool to create some kind of two-tier storage/sleep thing back there. Ahh, miss my 4runner frown.gif but can you miss something when it was you who in fact killed it confused.gif

Never seen/heard of anyone rigging up the 4Runner Camper Mod, but never fear. The car camping folks have got you covered with this bitchen tent-car hybrid.

"Finally - a shelter that combines the ease and convenience of setting up a tent AND that lovely car-interior ambience you've come to expect when you're crashing at a trailhead."

sportz_suv.jpg

You can probably also modify the 4Runner to suit your camping needs pretty well by trading it in for a Taco with a canopy.

isn't that the same thing 'cept trendier? I've seen Toyota surfs (aka early 4runners) modified for camping... not hard.

I'm not an authority on Toyota Truck/4Runner related camping modification trends, so I'm not sure. I just thought that RedBeard would get his feelings hurt if his initial query was met with something besides a lame joke (response #2) and useless information (response #1).

I just thought that RedBeard would get his feelings hurt if his initial query was met with something besides a lame joke (response #2) and useless information (response #1).

Well then we'd cut down on the time he'd waste here, wouldn't we? It's not like he posted it in SPRAY or anything rolleyes.gif

Depend on how tall you are.

I haven't had good luck fitting in Toyotas. Not only is the back too short, but I crack my head on the ceiling when doing any serious off-road driving.

For tall people, Isuzu Troopers work really well. There's lots of headroom, good stock ground clearance, more cubic interior space than 4-Runners, and a bed that can comfortably fit a 6'5" person. I like mine, but I don't like having to keep a parts car to keep it running.

They are also narrow like Toyotas, so they get down alder-choked roads far better than a US pickup or full-sized Bronco/Blazer.

Heh. Jokes welcome.

Those diaper things aren't too stealth looking. "No Ocifer, I'm not planning to camp here overnight!"

I'll check out the Troopers. I like older cars that I can do some work on, and I am getting envious of my friends' sleep-in climbing rides.

I've also considered a Vanagon or a Honda Accord wagon. THe former has reliability issues, the latter doesn't have much space inside.

PS: Pics coming soon cj...keep checking back. moon.gif

Why bother...why not get a truck with a camper..why not eat inside and do the whole thing..why go half assed..sleeping and screwing inside an SUV is not good..you dont need some huge camper but something tat is just a bit bigger than a canopy thumbs_up.gif

A truck is cheaper, better on gas..if you get an old one easier to work on..

I had a camper and eventually sold it for $100. They are not such a hot idea for climbers. Every time I went off-road the thing would be creaking and popping fasteners. It was a miracle I didn't lose the thing or tip the truck with such a high CG. Campers also suck when you're dealing with overgrown brush and low hanging windfalls, which describes a lot of the access roads in BC and parts of WA. It's also handy to have a shorter wheelbase when turning around on logging spurs. Turning my F250 around was a nightmare, even wth 4x4.

On the positive side, campers are really comfy for hanging out in campgrounds or in open space off good roads. It just didn't work out for me.

If you fold up the back seats in the 4run the back space is exactly 5'9". I am 6'1" thumbs_down.gif

Rip out the seats altogether and it could work.

That's what I was thinking...basically exactly like a p/u with a canopy, except you can get to the front easily from the back.

Thanks for the measurements! rockband.gif