What the hell is REALLY going on here?

chucK

Hastert at odds with justice department over raiding a Democrat's office

How weird is that? Now he's accusing someone in the executive branch of leaking that he's a target in the Abramof scandal to shut him up? There's gotta be more going on here...I mean, to the regular joe, it seems like these guys are totally idiotic defending a DEMOCRAT who was caught on videotape taking a $100,000 cash payment then hiding it in his freezer. Why are these guys who have laid down for every sleazy move that Bush has taken, now suddenly committing political suicide over a crooked Democrat?

Something weird is going on here that we don't know about yet (and may never!)

whoomp whoomp whOOmp WHOOMP (<- sound of black helicopters grin.gif)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But why now? They've been bending over for the Prez for years now. They were on the verge of removing the fillibuster provision. They've done nothing about his signing statement bullshit. They've done nothing about imprisoning and torturing people without a hearing in any court.

But now? Has the writing gotten so clearly on the wall, that they've decided it's prudent to actually try to do something about the president following the constitution? Why make the stand now with a case that the voters will find so weak. Something must be going on that they just can't wait.

I guess the obvious answer is that he's got some pretty damning stuff in his office, but that still doesn't make that much sense. I mean, what could you have in your office that would be so incriminating that could not just be destroyed tonight?

Anyway....

I mean, what could you have in your office that would be so incriminating that could not just be destroyed tonight?

Anyway....

A stained blue dress?

A couple of bodies? Bodies can be difficult to destroy quickly. Look at all the trouble those bankrupt morgue operators had.

I think you are right, ChucK. I have been wondering all week why they are choosing to take this stand. Yes, separation of powers has been an emerging issue recently and, yes, many Republican candidates are going to want to separate themselves from the Administration in advance of the coming elections, but the facts of this case would seem to make it an odd one to choose for their first real stand against the President.

Could it simply be that, even with all the partisan politics, there is some sense of comraderie amongst members of Congress? Maybe they think it is OK to take shots at each other all day long in front of the news cameras, but then they have some deep seated respect for each others' office space.

Could be that they've all got the goods on each other, and if one goes, they're all going like a big house of cards....

and right now as we type, Bush's team is going through all of their offices after they were all shooed out by a bogus "shots fired" call.

the plot thickens

swatting at them copters fruit.gif

A Republican dominated Congress and Judiciary have for six years shirked their constitutional responsibilities in the face of an ever more imperial Executive. What's going on here is an out-of-control Executive finally got so full of itself it stepped on Congress without even thinking (i.e. Rove after a rogue Democrat to hold up for mid-terms). It's been just fine with Congressional Republicans when this imperial Executive abridges any and every one else's rights but then is shocked, shocked when it happens to them - oh, the outrage! Well, suck it up boys - you've been bitten by a dog created of your own willful negligence...

The bastards in the White House and the other Houses need to be replaced. I hope there are viable candidates that can get their messages across well enough to get elected.

We saw a miniature performance of this same soap opera here in Washington 2 years ago; when the absurdity of Rossi's, er uh, Vance's court actions became apparent and some of the local GOP's started to bail off of the sinking party ship they began eating eachother in public.