Trail Running in Seattle

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a park in my neighborhood (Bellevue) called Weowna Beach Park along lake sammamish.

It is Old Growth with roughly 2.5 miles of roller coaster redwood path in a figure 8. stream, waterfall, some views. beautiful right now.

maybe not close for you, but it is worthy to note.

enter off of 168th Ave SE. google it.

easy access off I90.

p.s. running is ghey

Disco is the best. Seward Park has some decent trails. The loop around the outside of the park is ~3 miles, and there are a bunch of trails that criss-cross the middle. Good hills and some of the only old growth in the city limits. Plus, a few pairs of nesting bald eagles!

Carkeek Park has some good trails and hills as well.

St Eds is a nice place for a run. You can do the upper trails - and work on reaction time dodging mtn bikers - or work your way down to the water for some burly hills back up to the road. There are flat loops, rolling loops, to pretty much a goat trail. Watch out for the owls near dusk. They will attack.

Yeah, st. eds does have some great hills. my wife and I ran there once, but haven't been able to muster the fortitude to go again after witnessing two dudes butt fucking in the bushes shocked.gif

All our other Seattle-area trail runs have been sodomy-free. YMMV.

Though not a trail per se, a nice (mostly) dirt/grass in-city route is the outer loop of Green Lake, down the grass median on Ravenna and then through Ravenna Park and back. Other than crossing the roads between Green Lake and the Park, it's all soft surfaces.

A few suggestions:

Schmitz Park, West Seattle

St. Edward's State Park, Top Loop

Coal Creek, Primrose Loop (This one is all the more astonishing when you consider it's in Renton)

Hamlin Park (Shoreline)

Interlaken Park to the Arbortum

Mercer Slough (Bellevue)

A bit farther:

Maple Valley Trailhead - Wilderness Lake

Tiger Mountain Plateau Loop

Cougar Mountain - lotsa stuff there

And speaking of attack owls, I got dive-bombed by one while running in Discovery last summer. wOOT!

thanks. snugtop.gif

Schmitz Park, West Seattle

I live right next to Schmitz....it is really nice to run around that loop in there, but I'm definitely ready to add a little variety.

I think I'll give these a go

Interlaken Park to the Arbortum

Coal Creek, Primrose Loop

I've saw one getting some mice, and heard one hooting in the trees, but have not yet been attacked in Disco Park by an owl. He probably just wanted to makes friends with you.

thumbs_up.gif

yoda.gif

Mercer Slough is pretty cool too. It's more wetland/marshy so it has a different feel than most of the trail runs in Seattle which are more forested...but on a nice day it's great. Trails, boardwalks, lots of birds and very few people. The downside is that it's on the eastside. thumbs_down.gif

Edited by snugtop

• 2 weeks later...
Mercer Slough is pretty cool too.
If you run around Mercer Slough, you're going to have to run in circles in order to even run 2 miles. I don't like running there.

Robinswood park in Bellevue has a 4 mile trail out and back that is nice, soft dirt/pineneedle mix. You can also run down the sidewalk and loop around through the blueberry fields. If you want more info, just ask me.

Cougar Mountain Trailhead off Coalcreek Pkwy in Bellevue/Renton also has tons of great runs. Not sure how long of a run you're looking for, but there are a lot of 4-10 mile loops. Just make sure to study the map at the trailhead first before starting. A lot of my friends have ended up running to Issaquah on accident. shocked.gif

Mercer Slough is pretty cool too.
If you run around Mercer Slough, you're going to have to run in circles in order to even run 2 miles. I don't like running there.

Robinswood park in Bellevue has a 4 mile trail out and back that is nice, soft dirt/pineneedle mix. You can also run down the sidewalk and loop around through the blueberry fields. If you want more info, just ask me.

Cougar Mountain Trailhead off Coalcreek Pkwy in Bellevue/Renton also has tons of great runs. Not sure how long of a run you're looking for, but there are a lot of 4-10 mile loops. Just make sure to study the map at the trailhead first before starting. A lot of my friends have ended up running to Issaquah on accident. shocked.gif

Nonsense! I do a 4 mile loop that does not retrace any part of the route. You have to be willing to run on pavement for part of the route however. About half will be on bark, gravel or boardwalk, and half on pavement.

http://www.ci.bellevue.wa.us/departments/Parks/pdf/trail_map_ms.pdf

• 1 month later...

The greenspace described in the 'Sweet Granite in Renton' thread has a fun little system of trails that are fun to run. There's a stream, hills, shade, bums/hurdles, and it's largely isolated from the noise of the city....seriously.

And, if you're lucky, you'll find the granite erratic tucked away in the vegetation there.