Missing hikers find dead man's pack, survive!

Alpinfox

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reading the account one almost would think/wish the roles should have been reversed. yoda.gif
How's that? Donovan was unlucky while the kids were stupid?

Brian,

I think chirp was referring to the notion that Recreational Darwinism was thwarted in this instance. Consider this excerpt from the article:

They got lost Saturday west of Palm Springs after wandering off a trail during what was supposed to be a day hike.

At first, they were not too worried because they could hear voices.

“I still felt we were relatively close,” Day said, recalling that he thought the trail would “be around this next boulder.”

Prepared only for a brief hike, they wore light jackets and tennis shoes and had no food, spare clothing or cell phones.

emphasis added by sobo

So I would surmise that the intent of chirp's post was that two unprepared people survived while one prepared person evidently has not.

Sobo read me like a book, thats exactly what I was thinking, but trying to beat around the bush so as not to come off like some sort of extreme misanthrope. In actuality I am only 65% Misanthropic (I heard the voices too)

They were young people and blissfully ignorant about the wilderness. They weren't prepared, but they didn't know they were not prepared. They didn't have a clue what could happen. It happens all the time. Not sure what people are thinking when they leave the trail without map or compass. It just doesn't occur to them that they could get lost.

One could argue that the veteran should have known what could happen with the weather in the early season. I feel for the guy too.

I remember many years ago backpacking in the late season in the Sierra out of Kennedy meadows with my young son. We met a young through hiker on the PCT. His name was Bart and he was a photographer from Tacoma. He ended up coming back from a high pass because he encountered snowfall. His judgement told him it was time to call it for the season and come back next summer.