Serpentine Arete

cs

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't think it is "necessary" unless you are not comfortable on the 25 degree snow that descends to the north of witches tower (this is a safe glissade... watch for the lake at the bottom) or it is very hard (low freezing level). You will not need it on Asgard.

Used tennis shoes on route a few weeks ago.

Why is it that anyone wants to do this route? Rock sucks (really, really sucks), descent sucks, bugs suck, rockfall sucks, no good pitches. I'd say if in the area go over to Snowcreek and get many good pitches on solid rock.

[ 08-01-2002, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: fixedPin ]

fixed pin,

skillz for climbing on loose rock are imperative for the mountains. look at climbing serpetine as an excerise of that.

it would seem to me for one to have such a negative attitude, that they do not appreciate the whole aspect of the trip/climb.

Many better climbs around that don't involve scrambling through pitch after pitch of gravel.

Seems like some climbs are a self perpetuating myth. Someone says it is a good climb, so others go do it and think that they should think it is a good climb and so say it is a good climb, etc.

[ 08-01-2002, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: fixedPin ]

I think most people's problems with serpentine arete are-

1: They do this route as one of their first large alpine rock climbs and expect it to be like cragging (no loose rock, well travelled and clean rock etc.)

2: They find out it is not super sustained and think it is not a good route.

3: Don't realize or think that it is actually a good climb to do as your first on the north side of this peak if you are not a hardman.

You have to admit the north side of this peak is large and most routes are not as good at it's grade (5.8).

[ 08-01-2002, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

I think that Serpentine Arete is a great climb to learn how to move efficiently over alpine terrain. You have awesome position above Colchuck lake and the views only get better as you go higher. It is not sustained but the rock is good by Cascades standards. Yes there are loose blocks and shit on ledges but as caveman says... its the mountains. Any newbie alpine climber hoping to do some longer routes should cut their teeth on this one... the other thing that makes this route attractive is the mellow descent... which can be done in the dark.. another plus for new alpine climbers.

quote:

Originally posted by Space Jug:

Ok, you got me wonderin...how do the little x-game wannabes move?

Extreme Rock Climbers

"YOU control your climber up the terrain of this mountain. It's over 2' tall! Special magnetic grippers that you wear on your fingers make contact with your climber's hands. Try to get to smoother paths if you can as flags mark how far you have gone. Position your climber on a hook if you need to plan you next move. But don't wait too long! After three climbs, the player who has climbed the most distance wins! "

What a great laugh, Straight from their website

Pressman games

This one looks like fun too

Totally Extreme Rock Climber