First Aliens, Then Climbing Comps...

crackers

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is pot kettle taupe better?

Neutral chromatic preferentialist!

Dude, just because he like Ben Folds & Dave Matthews...

Closet bland-music apologist!

Pretty little hate machine.

This looks like a downward spiral

Nope, just another halo

Still, with millions of young recreational climbers, Mr. Mayville said climbing would one day be recognized as a high school sport nationwide. Not all climbers love the idea. Joseph Healy, 52, of Portland, Ore., a technology consultant and a climber for three decades, views climbing as a personal pursuit that takes place in the wilderness, not a competitive indoor sport with winners and losers. "Climbing competitions, with their focus on route difficulty and ratings, impose the entirely wrong mindset and approach to something I consider sacred," Mr. Healy said.

-- JosephH in the NYT.

So what did you actually say J?

hey einsteins did you ever stop to wonder if the increasing numbers of climbers in gyms, and decreasing number of climbers in the backcountry and on rainier, are connected wave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gifwave.gif

I'm still holding out for the "Windsurfing" scenario - a complete collapse in the popularity of the sport. A way outside long shot at best. You guys need to eat way more twinkees to really do your part...

How big has the collapse been? Kind of interesting - never heard of that happening before. Any thoughts on the reasons why? Did everyone convert to kiteboarding?

If the mountains are actually getting less crowded, and there's enough of a market to support innovation, and good manufacturing - seems like the best of all possible worlds to me. Better gear, more price competition, and less folks in the way when you want to use them. Seems like old-schooler Valhala as long as the bolting is confined to Exit38esque areas.

How big has the collapse been? Kind of interesting - never heard of that happening before. Any thoughts on the reasons why? Did everyone convert to kiteboarding?

If the mountains are actually getting less crowded, and there's enough of a market to support innovation, and good manufacturing - seems like the best of all possible worlds to me. Better gear, more price competition, and less folks in the way when you want to use them. Seems like old-schooler Valhala as long as the bolting is confined to Exit38esque areas.

mid90s (pre kitesurfing) windsurfing really tanked. Too specialized, too bro-brah, too difficult to learn. There was a WSJ article circa 2000? about it. I'm not sure kitesurfing is really taking off.. more popular, but aside from a few special locations, not terribly popular. steep learning curve, $$$$

Climbing, and the general outdoor industry, are seeing intensification. Low user # growth, rise in user days. Same people doing more, in more places, at a higher level. The ski industry is a perfect example of this. Also see adventure tourism growth. Frankly I could give a fuck about innovation and manufacturing... you can always make shit yourself. As long as there's someone with half a brain and a milling machine you'll have climbing gear. And a hydraulic press and vaccuum pump, voila you've got skis.