Black Diamond Spot Headlamp

dbb

I just got one of these and was really impressed. Maybe I've been living under a rock for the past year or so, but these headlamps with the super bright LED along with an array of small LEDs are super nice. This one has 3 power settings and a strobe for each set of lights, pretty much what you would expect. I like that it has the batteries up front, three AAAs, just like the tika. It's a little bigger than a tika due to the extra big LED.

Usage wise, I was blown away at how bright and far the high beam shone. I'm not really that good at judging distances, but it was at least 1-200 feet and concentrated as a spot light. For everything else I just used the small leds to save on battery and it gives about as much light as my tika. not sure how long the bright spot light will last on a fresh pair of batteries, but I haven't noticed much decline after a full 12 hours or so of use. I didn't like how the band attaches to the headlamp though. You have to take the band and slip it into some keepers on the actual headlamp. maybe they did this so you could put it on a bike easier? dunno. But, with a real solid yank, the headlight could pop off the band. I fixed this by putting the band on, and the placing duct tape over the slots. easy... thumbs_up.gif

620586_spot.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, Petzl is just a cooler brand name. It totally has Euro written all over it. You know all the cool people have the MYO XP. The Spot looks like essentially the same headlamp, but instead by BD.

MYO XP specs:

Alkaline:..........

Boost: (65m range) for up to 20 seconds before reverting to previous setting

High: (45m range) 70h

Medium: (35m range) 90h

Low: (20m range) 170h

Powered by 3 x AA/MN1500 batteries (included)

Weight without batteries: 100g

Weight with batteries: 175g

Spot Specs:

weight w/o batteries 50 g

wieght with batteries 85 g

4 IPX

takes: 3 AAA

3 SuperBright LEDs

65 hours 15 m

1 HyperBright LED

20 hours 40 m

so...on paper the MYO XP has better performance...but if you're asking yourself WWCD (What Would Colin Do), then maybe you'd want to shave those 90gs from your pack and go with the Spot. I bet it is not as durable as the MYO XP.

I hope you appreciate the amount of research I had to do here. BTW...how much can you bench?

It was John's that inspired me to get a better lamp. I just didn't end up with his... likely because I had a pet named Spotty once, and he is quick at putting his own gear into his pack.

I kind of doubt the XP's numbers... those are huge, but who knows with AAs. I like headlamps that fit in my pocket while climbing. you tend to always have it. plus, WWCD? he'd have those three extra carabiners on the rack (there's your 90g homeboy!)

and refresh my memory Mr. Olympia climber... last time, was it after your set of 3 reps or 4 reps that you needed help putting down the 15 pounders? yelrotflmao.gif

Don't forget the petzl euro style. I've since moved up to the 20 pounders, but I still haven't done any pushups. The MYO XP fit right in my pocket this past weekend, with a barely noticable bulge. Think about durability! I don't want to see you making the wrong decision here.

edit...ok so you already bought one. well, fine, you're carrying the rack next time, since your pack will wiegh nothing.

Edited by olyclimber

my mom brought the spot over for me....

I like it, the only thing I was bummed about is you can't have the super bright LED and the three small leds all on at once. I kind of wanted the eye burning flood light effect.

but that wouldn't probably drain the batts pretty quick.

I have a MYO XP that IMO is the best headlamp ever. Before that I had the BD Xenix, which had some issues but was still pretty good. I suppose this Spot competes more with the Tikka XP than the MYO. Regardless, high wattage LEDs kick ass and will probably replace traditional bulbs altogether in the coming years.

My buddy has the MYO XP and we've compared them side by side and the spot is brighter (unless you plan to hike around holding down the boost?? even then the MYO XP was only very slightly brighter with the boost)

The Spot is the headlamp Dubya would own if he was a climber. thumbs_up.gif

No, he'd own the "Don't Tax But Spend XP" headlamp made by Haliburton and marketed by the Carlile Group. It only costs $45,000 per unit (illegal wiretap version is extra) and doesn't work at all. But that's okay because Blue State taxpayers would foot the bill.

Edited by dt_3pin

No, he'd own the "Don't Tax But Spend XP" headlamp made by Haliburton and marketed by the Carlile Group. It only costs $45,000 per unit (illegal wiretap version is extra) and doesn't work at all. But that's okay because Blue State taxpayers would foot the bill.

I believe thats the Black Diamond Soliras

620561_soliras.jpg

I have a MYO XP that IMO is the best headlamp ever. Before that I had the BD Xenix, which had some issues but was still pretty good. I suppose this Spot competes more with the Tikka XP than the MYO. Regardless, high wattage LEDs kick ass and will probably replace traditional bulbs altogether in the coming years.

My buddy has the MYO XP and we've compared them side by side and the spot is brighter (unless you plan to hike around holding down the boost?? even then the MYO XP was only very slightly brighter with the boost)

I'm not so sure I trust this focus group's findings. I sense that those that have already made the purchase are seeking to justify their choice instead of making an unbaised, objective report of field data.

I'm not so sure I trust this focus group's findings. I sense that those that have already made the purchase are seeking to justify their choice instead of making an unbaised, objective report of field data.

Would you like me to get my buddy to post to confirm this? If you don't believe me then go try it out for yourself. Buy both headlamps from REI then return which ever one you are not 100% completely satisfied with.... I don't work for BD, I don't care if you like their stuff of not.

Or does your lack of trust stem from my avatar pic?

Would you like me to get my buddy to post to confirm this? If you don't believe me then go try it out for yourself. Buy both headlamps from REI then return which ever one you are not 100% completely satisfied with.... I don't work for BD, I don't care if you like their stuff of not.

Or does your lack of trust stem from my avatar pic?

Certainly that is the problem. Republicans obviously can't evaluate headlamps. rolleyes.gif