Warm light technical boots

BillA

Since I frostbit my toes this weekend and we're heading for colder climes in April, I'm thinking I'm going to be needing some new footwear. I've got a pair of the yellow Koflachs which are super warm, but really really heavy. Anyone know of any good light plastics that climb mixed terrain well and won't compromise my toes? Any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang man, sorry to hear about your toes. Hope they heal well.

Given any thought to the Vasque Ice9000's? The Asolo Ottomilla's are pretty warm and light, but they're also pretty stiff, so I'm not sure that they'd be all that great for mixed stuff.

Intuition liners are supposed to be the lightest AND warmest things you can put on your feet. Get some lightweight plastic shells and you are set. I've heard good things about the Lowa Civetta as a lightweight plastic shell that climbs well. Never worn them personally though. I've seen several pair at Second Ascent here in Seattle. You could check Next Adventure down in PDX (that's where you are from right?).

What sort of rehab are you doing for the piggies? Circulating hot water baths?

I was wearing the Scarpa Freney XT. My core stayed fairly warm with my big parka, but all I had on my legs were a pair of medium weight long underwear pants, another pair of light synthetic pants and my softshell pants. I was absolutely kicking myself (literally) all night for not throwing insulated pants in.

Anyway, as far as rehab goes at this point I'm making sure that I don't accidently cause any trauma to the tissue since they're still numb and I'm taking antibiotics. Other than that I think it's pretty much a time issue. Since they've blistered already, no more soaks.

Thanks for the boot recommendations, the Ice 9000's sound pretty sweet. Also plan on checking out the Civetta/Intuition option. Thanks again!

Intuition liners are supposed to be the lightest AND warmest things you can put on your feet. Get some lightweight plastic shells and you are set. I've heard good things about the Lowa Civetta as a lightweight plastic shell that climbs well. Never worn them personally though. I've seen several pair at Second Ascent here in Seattle.

great combo!! i've got this now for a while and those boots do climb good. they have fairly small footprint so they aren't as clunky. (actually have to size down my crampons from my leathers (scarpa cerro torres))

good luck thumbs_up.gif

Intuition liners in a pair of Scarpa Alphas.

My feet tend to get cold pretty easily, but never in these, even up here. They're also a good pound or more lighter than the Scarpa Invernos I had prior to these, and they have a lower profile and climb better as well.

The key is the thermoform liners (Intuition or equiv., which are WAY WAY overpriced IMO).

Good luck.

I ran across these the other day whilst surfing the web.

La Sportiva Spantik

with Fast Lacing System 38-47

by half PU Tech Coated Breneke Ceracom, molded TPU backstay, PE microcellular insulating form, Lorica 5 mm thermal structure carbon fiber

w/ thermo alumimum TPU dual density Micropore EVA Vibram Montagna

step-In compatable Micro-perforated Thermo-formable PE w/ water-repellent Lorica w/ Antiacqua aCoating 5 lb

1 oz A,E 650.00

Purportedly, per La Sportiva's and Alaska Mountaineering (www.alaskamountaineering.com) and Hiking's web sites they are quite toasty, reasonably light and precise climbers.

They may just be worth a 'look see.'

A little quick research reveals that Telemark Pyrenees has them for: 358.70 EUR

Euro = 426.010 USD

United States Dollars

Anyone have any more info or personal experience with these quite pricey bad boys?

Edited by Dan_Miller

I have a pair of Alpha's with Intuition liners. They weigh 74oz Size 9. They are a snug fit so they climb GREAT. BUT, if it is cold out, my feet get cold easily. Should have a 9.5 for cold days.

I tried the Spantik on last weekend. They only had a 43 (size 10) in stock. A 42.5 would be a better fit but I did not have a good insole in the 43 so I dunno. The laces are wicked thin. One handed lacing, on cold mornings, with gloves would be nice with these boots.

I reallly like the boot and at 81oz, it looks like it my next boot.

The Ice 9000 are about 11oz heavier (listed weight) but A LOT cheaper. It's all about the fit so I'll have to see.

Scott Backes wore the Ice 9000 to the summit of Denali, with no overboots and had no problems so they be pretty warm. Granted, the weather was probably pretty good (Denali good). I think Mt Gear has them only sale real cheap.

Andy seemed to like the Spantik

http://www.lyon.co.uk/outdoors/showitem.asp?Id=445

I have a buddy who recovered from frostbite on his toes. It took a while but years later, he really does not have any issues when ice climbing.

Jedi

If you're rich: LaSportiva's Spantik is hella warm, and much lighter than their Nuptse. It climbs mixed terrain as well as any double boot can - better than the Koflach or Vasque boots.

If you're on a budget: Intuition liners are the way to go, though you'll need a slightly smaller shell. What size are your feet? I have some ~12.5 US Koflach Verticals available...

Amen to the Scarpa Alphas. I have the original, slightly heavier, liners and these are warm light boots that climb well. Warm enough for the Cascades anyhow. You can walk a long way in them as well. Drinking a lot of water is also important to avoid getting frostbite, particularly on multi-day trips.