Ingalls North Peak, East Ridge Beta request

Xcott

Trying to figure out how big a group of medium-to-experienced climbers can efficiently get up this route in the second week of July. Beckey's info on this one is a bit thin, and after reading the entry in "Selected Climbs" Vol. 2, I'd like to appreciate any input on these questions:

- Just how sharp does the team need to be to simul-climb all of the first 4 pitches?

5.??, gotchas, exposure, whatever.

- On the south face rappel route, "Selected" say "2-3 easy rappels". What makes the difference; a 60m vs. 50m rope?

Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLIMB IS REALLY LEDGY YOU COULD PROBABLY GET LIKE 100-150 PEOPLE ON THE ROUTE AT ONE TIME.....THE CRUX IS TRIVIAL.......

DONT RAP THE S SIDE ROUTE....HEAD W AND DOWN CLIMB......

DONT RAP THE S FACE ROUTE......

ROUTES TAKES LIKE 30 MINUTES.....

IT IS VERY FUN WITH SOLID ROCK, CEPT IN THE APPRIACH GULLY....WATCH DOES FINGERS...

BETTER OPTION IS TO START FORM LAKE AND LINK ALL 3 SUMMITS IN A DAY....MUCH FUN LIKE 6 HRS RT FROM CAR WITH A PHAT LUNCH.....

ENJOY

climbed this route with someone with very little experience last summer in close to zero visiblity and rain and had no problems. More importanly there was no one else on the peak, not even mountaineers groups. If you have climbed the tooth you can climb this.

my wife and i had fun on this route as it was one of our first alpine climbs. avoid going right on the first pitches to a set of anchors up traverse on right - this will give you more excitement than you might want...

fun ridge climbing and crux is easier than it looks.

• 1 month later...

go for it...the route is very straight foreward and if your comfortable with your abilities at that grade i am sure youll have no problem....crux is not commiting...its about 7-10 feet high. for the rest of the ridge its low 5th class....but this route is really fun. really fun...i am never going up the south face again...but shh dont spread the word to the mounties.

Aidan

quote:

Originally posted by thelawgoddess:

looking for current beta, and "hints" for making it a solo event.

As someone said earlier, the route has lots of ledges. There are many spots that if you fell you wouldn't ride the range (but you'd be pretty messed up). And lawgoddess, if you do chose to solo, downclimbing the south face is quicker than downclimbing from the west (I've done both with the stopwatch running.).

Snoop's got it right. Link up all three (East, North, and South Ingalls) Peter Croft style (in fact this is the original ridge traverse that started his ridge fix!) As of June 20th there is much snow above 4500ft, and the lake is frozen over. Bring skis if you don't mind the xtra weight and ski the excellent corn below the south peak. Or enjoy the long glissade back to camp. And beware of speeding soloists! [Eek!]

quote:

thanks! also ...

how's the snow?

for the descent, should i bring a rope to rappel out?

about how long of a drive is it from seattle?

where might i camp if i drive down the night before?

what can/"should" i do the next day if i'm not ready to go home yet?

thanks again!

You should be able to downclimb the South Ridge if you're comfortable soloing the East Ridge.

1.5 hrs from Seattle.

There's maybe 2 FS Campgrounds up the Teanaway River Valley, also a private Campground, and many pull-outs along the road.

Paraglide back over the Crest riding the thermals to Seattle and touch down in Lake Washington near Madrona Beach, where a handsome young lifeguard will rescue you. [laf]

Climb mountains, and get their good tidings.

quote:

Originally posted by headmasterjon:

[...] Link up all three (East, North, and South Ingalls) Peter Croft style (in fact this is the original ridge traverse that started his ridge fix!) [...] You should be able to downclimb [...]

ooh, you don't know how much i DETEST downclimbing!!! [Mad] but thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and whatnot. i'm definitely going to consider going croft-style. i'm pretty psyched for my impending adventure! [big Grin]