second season climber

jasonbloker

ok al need some input here I have gone up hood southside sevral times by my self but I want to start doing more technical stuff and some rope team stuff so I would love to get some input on equipment I need for a starting rack and recomended ropes....I have a seat harness do you recomend a chest harness as well? have a mountainerring ice axe what do you sugest in the way of an ice tool? have sabertooth crampons... any slightly more technical routes you can sugest that would be a big step up from the south side of hood?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grab some glacier gear and a partner and start thinking about routes like:

-Mazama Glacier (Adams)

-Emmons (Rainier)

-Leuthold Couloir (hood)

-Sunshine (Hood)

-Baker

plus you are prolly ready to solo these with minimal gear:

-Thielsen

-Broken Top

-South & Middle Sis

-Adams south side

-St Helens

Then when you get good try:

-Mt Jefferson (JPG)

-Kautz Glacier

-North Sis

-North Cascades!

For a second tool get something with a hammer rather than an adze. If you think that there is a chance that you may at some point want to get into more technical ice climbing, then consider getting the hammer version of a nice tool set (example petzl quark or aztar with hammer). It's gonna be more expensive for a nice technical tool, but then if you do choose to try some 2 tool climbing, you only have to pay for the other one, rather than a whole set. Chriz's route suggestions are great! Lot's o' people say that curved shaft tools aren't idea for alpine stuff cause the shafts don't plunge as well as a straight tool, but I have found that my quark plunges quite well, and in general, if I'm climbing softer stuff where I'm doing a lot of plunging, the second tool isn't out so much. Good luck! bigdrink.gif

Before you get out onto some of the glacier routes mentioned above (great list BTW), you should get some basic glacier travel instruction beforehand. Not sure what is available in PDX these days, but the parks & rec program might have a cheap option as do guide services if you have the $. Same advice for getting started on rock - start with some expert instruction. Mentors are great too if you can find one. wave.gif

Edited by curtveld

Don't overlook the possibility of buying a used ice tool at a great savings. You'll pay a premium for whatever folks are thinking is the shizzle right now, but just about any ice too with a hammer head will be sufficient to hammer in a picket once in a while, scratch you way over a bergschrund, or lean on in an icy gully somewhere.

That's good advice Matt. I also recommend straight-shafted ice tools if you find them for sale used. They're a very nice compromise between performance of today's true ice gear and the benefits of being able to plunge the shaft of the ax to greater effect (which it is so often nice to do in the Cascades).

Now I have a small question, Matt. Would you ever say 'shizzle' in conversation? I'm just curious. tongue.gif

life begins at 10,000 feet...

Only a 1100' odd feet of life in Oregon eh?

Do you just want to climb volcanos? Cuz here's a little secret for you: walking up volcanoes gets really old really quickly. It might impress your parents and your cubicle-mates, but the thrill fades pretty quickly.

Look into learning some rock climbing skills and get some gear and then combine mountains+technical climbing. It's fun. Real fun - but your parents and your cubicle-mates won't be impressed because they have never heard of Mt. Stuart, Mt. Goode, Liberty Bell, etc.

If you don't have any friends that do it, and that can teach you, then one of those groups might be an OK way to start.

Here is another factoid: The best alpine climbing in Oregon is in Washington.