Limestone Outcrops in Baring

kix

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there's limestone on the South side of the South Fork near there. There was a limestone quarry across the river that fed the cement plant at Grotto. Never been there but: Approach off old Lowe Creek road.

There are some small outcrops hidden in the trees on the extreme west end of Baring but I don't recollect what they are.

There is some other kinds of rock out there. I don't know if it was limestone, cause I haven't really climbed much of it. But the stuff I was finding was more good for bouldering traverses or the kinds of problems you let go once it ends. Some V6-8 problems, and I had one really hard project. Probably all regrown and dirty again and I don't even remember where it was totally. That said... it isn't really worth it!

The Renton outcrops have gotten a lot of guff, but if you just have some patience and keep walking down the old road behind the school you'll see the cliffs on the other side of the river. They're not as high as the (pretty overinflated) report mentioned, but there are a few somewhat mossy routes to be done. Beats staying home if you're stuck in town. Just ride your bike over and bring a chalk bag.

Makes me remember the days of RedRocks-like sandstone in Bellingham, before the rain washed it all away.

Those were the days. 'Course you young 'uns probably wouldn't remember... yoda.gif

I thought it was cuz you old timers loofahed the crap out of it and left us with what we have today. Did you guys plant the moss on top of the rocks and drag the driftwood out to the beach too? grin.gif