Talk about a sense of entitlement

foraker

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, kids are spoiled these days. Cellphones, fast Internet connections, cable, $5 lattes, SUVs, fancy clothes, dozens of DVDs...

With my relative pittance of a graduate stipend, I'm still managing to max out my Roth each year (though it will be harder when the limit hits $5000). My parents managed to raise two kids on a single income without a college education. So yeah, if some spoiled yuppie brats can't manage to balance a budget because of their extravagance, that's their own damn fault.

Yeah, kids are spoiled these days. Cellphones, fast Internet connections, cable, $5 lattes, SUVs, fancy clothes, dozens of DVDs...

With my relative pittance of a graduate stipend, I'm still managing to max out my Roth each year (though it will be harder when the limit hits $5000). My parents managed to raise two kids on a single income without a college education. So yeah, if some spoiled yuppie brats can't manage to balance a budget because of their extravagance, that's their own damn fault.

well, part of it is difficulties managing funds. Part of it is housing costs, medical care, and other necessities in major metropolitan areas have increased substantially in the past 30 years as a % of real income. Yeah, it is harder to get ahead when things cost more.

It's harder to get ahead when you have a $19,000 worth of 'must have' goodies on your credit card....

yah, I know people whose must haves are car repairs and medical expenses.

What does your smug superiority qualify you for? The JayB/KK internet republican club?

And I know people who can't afford things who put thousands of dollars of non-necessities on their credit cards because they like having 'stuff'. Which do you think is more prevalent in this country? a) those who live within their means and save for the future or b) those who don't? If living within my means within a major metro area makes me 'smug' and 'superior', well then I guess I am....to you.

And I know people who can't afford things who put thousands of dollars of non-necessities on their credit cards because they like having 'stuff'. Which do you think is more prevalent in this country? a) those who live within their means and save for the future or b) those who don't? If living within my means within a major metro area makes me 'smug' and 'superior', well then I guess I am....to you.

blah, blah, blah.

My only point was an air of smug superiority from a generation whose cut taxes in part from selfishness, then passed on the higher cost of education, health care, transportation and living to a younger generation, then bitchs about how that generation isn't as financially well off as themselves is nauseating. It was alot easier for you guys to "waste" money with fewer consequences.

On a tangent note, social status in this country is closely tied to economic status. The easiest way to show economic status is to possess luxury items, bling-bling, whatever you call it. The corporations and media know this and hence do their best to market $200 Nikes, expensive haircuts/manicures, fancy namebrand clothes, jewelry, souped-up cars, the latest must-own movie, etc.

That's not what the article is about though, foraker. It's about people trying to establish themselves, which in a high cost city like Seattle can be quite hard. My car insurance went up $200 a year this year, and it went up $200 year last year to move to Seattle from Redmond, so that is $400 more. I have an absolutely clean record. My medical insurance went up $40/month this year, and has gone up $100/month over the last 3 years. If you are a high paid tech worker in this area that might not be a huge deal, but if you are living with a disposable income of only a couple hundred dollars a month it is a much bigger deal. For a single person living in Seattle it is almost impossible to buy a home unless you make close to 6 figures.

I won't even begin to address the number of false and unfair assumptions you've made let alone your sense of bitterness.

I always strive to strike a balance between social responsibility, fiscal responsibility, and environmental protection when I vote and on the issues which I write to my Congressman about. Seems to me I don't fit your preconceptions of what my generation is all about. Maybe you should save your ire for twenty-somethings who opt out of being politically involved.

Jon, I have no doubt that younger people are finding it harder to get by. I'm not saying I have no lack of sympathy for those who are trying their best. I failed to make that point clear, I admit. However, I also know a fair number of these people who simply live beyond their means and don't understand why they are always in debt.

Seems to me I don't fit your preconceptions of what my generation is all about. Maybe you should save your ire for twenty-somethings who opt out of being politically involved.

If it walks, talks, and quacks like a duck.... perhaps it's a wildabeast? rolleyes.gif

Your generation has increasingly pawned off the burdens of society to younger generations - decreasing their disposable income - and increased your own by reducing your tax burden. You then are mad when others wish to enjoy things in the same manner you did.

I got mine, fuck you

Well, that is the mantra for your generation - and your posts so far on this thread.

As the failure line moves closer to the mean, the number below the mean increases. In this case the "failure line" is debt and not making forward fiscal progress. You can sit smugly and pontificate, or realize the danger to the US economy that massive consumer debt and a negative savings rate pose. Hey, it'll be what funds the economy during your retirement. Of course, maybe they should have just learned from your shining example rolleyes.gif

Your ability to make faulty assumptions about people knows no ends. I suggest you seek therapy and avoid any job involving higher mental functions.

absurd ad hominem attack - I nominate you for the "KK Postalike" award grin.gif

Going to start posting in a foreign language next?

All ages in poverty, 2002

Pierce County, Wash., estimate: 55,514 to 85,956

INCOME IN 1999

Households

Less than $10,000

$10,000 to $14,999

$15,000 to $24,999

$25,000 to $34,999

$35,000 to $49,999

$50,000 to $74,999

$75,000 to $99,999

$100,000 to $149,999