anyone been here before?

corvallisclimb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is some rock very similar looking in formation just before you get to the Dalles on the south side of I-84 where the railroad tracks cross under the freeway. It's columnar basalt but the columns are very small in size and tend to twist/overlap making for a bunch of wild mini aretes. Cool looking stuff!

Did we figure out if this in Quartzville Creek? Perhaps someone could post more detailed directions?

even if the first location is not the Quartzville Creek crag, Quartzville would be cool for some adventer type person in the Corvallis area. While I won't give you specific directions to it, the map link I provided should give you enough info to get there. Have fun, and post a TR if you go.

I guess the trees could be right, but I don't think I know the crag and the rock type looks wrong, are we talking up the Lostine River some place? Did you take the photo? and are you qoing to check out Quarzville Creek Crag or what since it seems to be in your back yard almost?

Yeah, this crag is further away from corvallis (north east)and about a mile from the trail head. I did not take the photo, but visted the area earlier this year just hiking around and saw the potential. I would like to check out the quartzville qreek crag, I will have to check out some of my topos and see if I cant find the place.

Or maybe up near the headwaters of French Creek that flows into Detroit lake, looks like lots of crags up by Tumble Lake

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&...amp;layer=DRG25

While I haven't specifically been to the crags above Tumble L. I have been to Dog Tooth Rock/Spire in the general area

Same area just a little bit more north east from that topo.

So give up the goods, what general area, you don't have to give us directions. P.S. you don't need to get out your topos to find the Quartzville Crag it is the large white area up and left of the red cross hair on the topo map of the link above. If you got that and a Gazattere you are golden

Oops Sorry, bad memory, actually up Quartzville Creek here I believe:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=4937727.0001443&e=567816.000000059&datum=nad83

in this general area? P.S. crag in this area is not Pinnacle Peak you'll have to go up in that area an snoop around for the goodies

So your saying I cant see it from Quartzville Creek RD and should hike up Pinnacle peak and look around? I dont have the Chimney Peak topo, just the Quartzville and Coffin Butte ones.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&amp...amp;layer=DRG25

Right here, O.K. I guess I feel good today, all the crags I know of can't stay a secret forever, but I ain't giving up the goods on the big Secret Spot up in my neck of the woods.

On Opal Creek Climbing, there is a lot of crags in the whole area, lots choss as you would suspect, but there is some adventure climbing to be had, looks like the Crags corvallis has shown is is in the general vicinity too

Have never been up Opal Creek proper, which is a travesty since I was born and raised in Oregon. Is granite multipitch not dream like? Yes it is granite multipitch mixed climbing.

I live in Everett, neck of the "climbing woods" is Constantino land, that is all I am going to say on that for now upon penalty of my own death and demise at the hands of the DEA.

i'm definitely interested. it is listed in the back of portland rock climbs.

the wall is pretty big and has basically no routes on it. it has a strong resemblance to granite.

i'm sticking around bend this weekend as i still have unfinished business to deal with. the weather has made it difficult lately.