Cooper Spur Ice

OlegV

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oleg, a few of us were up there yesterday, but visability and the wind were terrible. We didn't cross over to check out the ice because of the sufferfest that was occuring above tree line. It was snowing and blowing, and I think we decided that the ice wouldn't be showing. Avy danger is def. a concern.

Good luck!

Alan

I don’t want to be “that guy” Oleg but I can’t help but wonder what avy conditions are going to be like up there...

The cooper spur ice (at least the ice I am thinking of… the stuff along the Eliot glacier right?) is below a rock ridge that runs roughly NE/NNE. Above the rock is an avy slope (30ish degrees).

Recent winds have tended south/south west in combination with recent snowfall:

6-18 inches of dense, wet snow snowfall and some rain has been seen the past 24 hours ending Friday morning near and west of the crest

is going to result in some healthy slope loading/wind deposition on northern – northeastern aspects including that ridge above the cooper spur ice.

Maybe you know of some ice I don’t that is in a safer location but I have to ask: what makes you think this ice (assuming it is in) can be safely climbed?

NWAC detailed forecast

NWAC summary forecast Northern OR

There was around 6" of snow, maybe a little more. I agree with John with avy concerns. There was a lot of scoured boiler plate ice that was very slick. Some of the areas has light snow on top of the ice and it was slick when you were transitioning between the ice and snow. If the snow on top of the ice is cohesive, I'm sure it shouldn't take much to trigger some slabs.

There was a lot of avalanche detonation occuring yesterday.

With another 6-12 inches over the next 36 hours, I bet we don't see a complete turnaround in avy conditions.

Sufferfest really understates the "knock me down" wind gusts above the tree line. shocked.gif

-r

Yup, what John said.

I was up skiing Wed. The previous day it ahd warmed and then froze. New snow was covering to @ 5 inches or so. I'd expect that even if the stuff that was hitting then were to have already cut loose, there would be signifigant build up just since then.

I suppose that if it breaks loose and hits you head on - it will at least be light and fluffy. blush.gif

Ouch anyway.

Oleg, just skinned up white river to around 6k' yesterday and it was damn close to white out conditions. Can only assume it's worse over/up there.

If the weather clears some, let me know if you want a second... I'd be down for it. thumbs_up.gif

Kevin, just came back from the hike to the Stone shelter on Cooper Spur. Pretty windy up there and lots of fresh snow falling. We def. should get out and do this ice when in shape!

Oleg