Sweet web cam

Alasdair

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I had no idea Alaska has active volcano.

Alaska has just about the densest concentration of active volcanoes in the world. The Aleutian islands and SW Alaskan Penninsula are pretty much a continuous chain of volcanoes.

See lower map below. Red dots are active volcanoes.

map_quakes_volcanoes_plates.gif

still no dust in anchorage, seems the volcano is subsiding...for right now. I still feel the appocolypse in the air.

Regarding the active volcanos, (and this is just off the top of my head), I believe my geology teacher said there's something like 148 volcanos in the Aleutian chain, there are about 50 active ones today though.

I kept waiting for something of Spurr's magnitude to come from Augustine...with havoc and chaos running rampart in the streets of Anchorage, people with face masks on, ash everywhere...never happened. Mayhem and madness will have to wait for another day I suppose.

Many flights to and from Anchorage were cancelled, delayed, or circumnavigated over Canada to avoid the ash cloud. There were some problems, but none that were serious...yet.