Green Ham and Eggs?

EWolfe

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Taiwan is not claiming a world first. Others have bred partially fluorescent pigs before. But the researchers insist the three pigs they have produced are better.

Better for what? Good thing they aren't wasting time with crazy shit like stem cell stuff, organ transplant compatibility, better bacon, whatever.

Not a waste of time. It proves a concept. Once you can reproducibly introduce one gene (and more importantly, express it) you can introduce any other gene you want.

Wasn't that hypothesis already proven?

Yes. Repeatedly. This is nothing new.

I've made flourescent mice. It's pretty routine actually.

And CBS is wrong. Just because you can express gene A does NOT mean you can express gene B.

Not a waste of time. It proves a concept. Once you can reproducibly introduce one gene (and more importantly, express it) you can introduce any other gene you want.

Wasn't that hypothesis already proven?

Yes. Repeatedly. This is nothing new.

I've made flourescent mice. It's pretty routine actually.

And CBS is wrong. Just because you can express gene A does NOT mean you can express gene B.

I was trolling for you, dude. wave.gif

Sometimes two genes are inserted at the same time. One gene produces some desired product or characteristic. The other is there just to demonstrate that the other one also must be there. Care to elaborate Pax?

Not quite sure what you are talking about here CBS. Selectable markers? i.e. toxin-resistance genes to simplify identification of transgenic clones? If so, yes that is a very common practice.

I'm feeling pretty Geek_em8.gif all of the sudden.

Gotta go.

wave.gif