Gary_Yngve

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pussy-ass approach:

"How about you email him RIGHT NOW."

Instead...

"I'm gonna give you three seconds; exactly three-fucking-seconds to e-mail that student or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull-fuck you!"

Yep, he's definately got you by the balls. Take command or you'll soon be reduced to praying he gives you a little reach-around.

OOHRAH! HCL.gif

Have you considered that your TA may just think of you as a dumbass? You were the only one at AK'a party last winter who could not figure out how to get there. Most people drove, but you had to climb over fences, and crawl through peoples yard just because the road had a bend.

Didn't Mr. Beckey get lost too?

Yes, reachable by road, but that wouldn't have been the shortest path as the crow flies. I wasn't expecting as many brambles.

As for my management style, I don't like disciplining. I like being laid back and assuming that folks will get done what I ask of them. I've had to get more hands-on with this TA than I would have preferred.

Hands on, as in I have to repeatedly check in on him and make sure things are procceding as desired. My other TA is great. I can treat him in a much more empowering style, as in, I'd like to to grade X by Y date, and I trust your judgment in grading according to my specifications. Let me know if you get behind or something weird comes up.

Gary,

Have you considered that your TA may just think of you as a dumbass? You were the only one at AK'a party last winter who could not figure out how to get there. Most people drove, but you had to climb over fences, and crawl through peoples yard just because the road had a bend.

yellaf.gif

When it comes down to it I bet Gary is pretty smart when it comes to his specific academic persuit. The problem is he thinks that his smarts in a narrow field imply that he's smart at lots of things.

Sorry to break it to you, but you lack a lot of street smarts. It doesn't mean that you can't learn, but for now I recommend being more humble. wave.gif

Hands on, as in I have to repeatedly check in on him and make sure things are procceding as desired. My other TA is great. I can treat him in a much more empowering style, as in, I'd like to to grade X by Y date, and I trust your judgment in grading according to my specifications. Let me know if you get behind or something weird comes up.
I think it is not ethical to be talking about these people, even if you don't name names.

Well, thanks for the food for thought. I definitely need to work on being able to discipline a subordinate and being able to tell a superior I need more resources/time, and to do either tactfully.

CBS/AlpineK, I think you both have some good points.

I cope with stress by talking/writing about it. Stress accumulates on itself, I have a decently large base of baggage, and several causes of stress have been intersecting recently. I also forget the "sleep over it before you email/post it" rule -- in the past three years I've sent a few such emails to my advisor that estranged our relationship.

emails to my advisor that estranged our relationship.

Wow, you do have some baggage. The way I read this, you and your advisor had a man on man love thing going, and it was helping your academic carear. Now this new TA has showed up, and you have given your butt up to him. The only way you have control of your life is to be mean, petty, and controlling to your lover. Your jilted advisor is about ready to throw you out of the UW for being stupid, and Fred Beckey wants to kick your ass for you saying that he is as stupid as you. Your life has spiraled out of control so bad that you have to resort to asking your nerdy Mountaineer buddy CBS for advise on love. Is this about right?

Wow, you do have some baggage. The way I read this, you and your advisor had a man on man love thing going, and it was helping your academic carear. Now this new TA has showed up, and you have given your butt up to him. The only way you have control of your life is to be mean, petty, and controlling to your lover. Your jilted advisor is about ready to throw you out of the UW for being stupid, and Fred Beckey wants to kick your ass for you saying that he is as stupid as you. Your life has spiraled out of control so bad that you have to resort to asking your nerdy Mountaineer buddy CBS for advise on love. Is this about right?
Thank you for your interesting perspective. yelrotflmao.gif

Well, thanks for the food for thought. I definitely need to work on being able to discipline a subordinate and being able to tell a superior I need more resources/time, and to do either tactfully.

CBS/AlpineK, I think you both have some good points.

I cope with stress by talking/writing about it. Stress accumulates on itself, I have a decently large base of baggage, and several causes of stress have been intersecting recently. I also forget the "sleep over it before you email/post it" rule -- in the past three years I've sent a few such emails to my advisor that estranged our relationship.

If you are trying to stop micromanaging, why don't you just ask the TA who works the way you want to train the TA who is not measuring up?