poison ivy (bad reaction)

smithisheaven

We climb around it all the time but thought I might enlighten a few of you about how bad it can be. I happen to not react to it but the same cannot be said of my climbing partner. Took a few days to show up and has progressed to a horrible wound on the leg with severe itching all over the rest of her body. Her leg swole up to about twice its size and had weeping holes in her leg. She has been out of action for almost 3 weeks. Threat of infection is great and care must be taken to keep it clean and dry. Emailed some pics to my friend at the local clinic and the doctors freaked out . Said they had never seen a reaction so bad. Be carefull out there we climb and live near alot of the stuff!

521034-kathy3.jpg.767204ddd1ada63109e1d250e5d0afd9.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She did not go to a doctor. She beleives that if she went to the doc she probably would have gotten worse. She actually works for a Doctor of Chiropractic and she has seen to many horror stories of things going wrong at the hospital. She stayed at home and kept it clean and just let her body fight it. It has gotten much better as in it is all scabbed over and healing well but it has taken a long time. I do not want the thread to break down into the pros and cons of doctors, just want people to know the seriousness of poison ivy if you are reactive to it. I will post some pics if I can figure it out.

She did not go to a doctor. She beleives that if she went to the doc she probably would have gotten worse. She actually works for a Doctor of Chiropractic and she has seen to many horror stories of things going wrong at the hospital. She stayed at home and kept it clean and just let her body fight it. It has gotten much better as in it is all scabbed over and healing well but it has taken a long time. I do not want the thread to break down into the pros and cons of doctors, just want people to know the seriousness of poison ivy if you are reactive to it. I will post some pics if I can figure it out.
When it get's that bad, it should be treated with steroid injections and antibiotics. If infection sets in you can die. If this even happens again, make her go to the doctor. Chiropractors are not doctors. They hate each other and disparage each other.

Chiropractors are not doctors. ...

In fact, many chiropractors ARE doctors. "Doctors of Chiropractic". I also disagree with the statement that MD/NDs and DCs "hate and disparage" each other. rolleyes.gif

In this case, I think it was pretty dangerous to not consult a doctor of medicine, but I'm glad your friend is getting better.

In fact, many chiropractors ARE doctors. "Doctors of Chiropractic". I also disagree with the statement that MD/NDs and DCs "hate and disparage" each other. rolleyes.gif

In this case, I think it was pretty dangerous to not consult a doctor of medicine, but I'm glad your friend is getting better.

hellno3d.gifChiropractors are not doctors!

I got home from the canyonlands/Moab area last month with an aweful case of poison ivy. You dont want to know where. It came on a few days after exposure, not right away. Calamine lotion became my close intimate friend. I was told if it got bad, prednisone was the answer-but mine only lasted a week.

Oh, and by the way, chiroprators are not doctors!

My brother is an M.D. You don't want to get him started on Chiropractors.

One way to regard a severe poison ivy reaction is to view it like a second degree burn. It basically disrupts the protective integrity of the skin.

I specificaly said i did not want this to turn in to a argument over docs or no docs, but take it where you may. dru i know that a chiro can't help poison ivy smart ass, I never said he could, maybe you can apply your suggestions to yourself. By the way Chiros have more schooling hours that DM's

Is that just classroom time? DM training is more than just the school work. Even the 3 or 4 year residency time ammounts to an apprenticeship. Somehow I doubt it's possible to squezze any more training/practice into an 8 yr period than the folks I know going through DM and DO programs.

hellno3d.gifChiropractors are not doctors!.....Oh, and by the way, chiroprators are not doctors!

You sure Mike?

Might wanna tell The American Chiropractic Association and the US Department of Labor about that.

Back on topic, HERE is a really good article on poison ivy.

Good links!

DM/DO

"It takes many years of education and training to become a physician: 4 years of undergraduate school, 4 years of medical school, and 3 to 8 years of internship and residency, depending on the specialty selected."

Chiro.

"Most State boards require at least 2 years of undergraduate education; an increasing number are requiring a 4-year bachelor’s degree. All boards require the completion of a 4-year program at an accredited chiropractic college"

So between 6 and 8 years of School for a Chiro. or 8 years of School followed by 3 to 8 years of supervised practice/apprenticeship (not to mention the DO's/DM's I know haven't had a summer off since they started school. That's more time for practice after all).

It must be a rosy wold out there being so ignorant. WTF is your problem? It's not the profession, it's the practicioner. Since when does nitpicking about a title make a good physician? It's about as stupid as only voting for democrats or republicans, soley based on their political party.

All I know is when I get my license I will be LEGALLY REQUIRED to practice under the scope practice for a licensed doctor, and my patients will be lucky to visit me and get the help they need. I'd be the same person with a D.O., M.D., or D.C. license and would employ the same treatments more or less.

You are being extrememly childish, bordering on offensive and highly retarded.

I specificaly said i did not want this to turn in to a argument over docs or no docs, but take it where you may. dru i know that a chiro can't help poison ivy smart ass, I never said he could, maybe you can apply your suggestions to yourself. By the way Chiros have more schooling hours that DM's

Are you sure you didn't contract a bit of poison ivy rash? Crankyness is a resisual side affect of poison ivy. yellaf.gif

Its my understanding that poison ivy is an east coast phenomenon and that poison oak is what you get out here in the PNW.

I am very allergic to poison oak and have had to endure steroid therapy (prednisone) for it several times. MDs are the only ones who can prescribe that medicine. I tried naturopathy and it didn't work at all.

Each of the medical professions has its own intrinsic value. I suffered through months of shoulder problems with my MD prescribing pain killers, surgery and PT to no avail. I passed on the surgery and went to a chiro instead and was pain free in 4 visits.

There are quacks in every field.