Snowshoeing 'round PDX?

scheissami

Yo,

This'll be my first winter here, and I'm stoked that we seem to be getting snow this year. I was hoping to go snowshoeing this weekend and planning on cruising around on Hood. Do you guys have a better suggestion or specific recommendations on where to go within a couple hour drive of Portland? Thanks.

Oh, yeah, I'm not really up for a crazy backcountry adventure--don't wanna have to deal with glacier/crevasse stuff or any avy prone areas. Cheers.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that this question was under a thread titled "snowshoeing sucks". I'm not super familiar with the area, but I would suggest that you check out Mt Hood (obviously), specifically cooper spur before it closes down (road gets pretty sketch and I think they gate it when there is too much, doesn't mean you can't shoe up the road though!). It's a cool part of the mountain, and gets you up and into the alpine. Watch out for the Elliot glacier (obvious) and open slopes that look avy prone. With the weather the way it has been I would bet that there is fun snowshoeing up there. Also check out the snowparks off of Timberline road on the south side of the mountain. Keep in mind as the season progresses that the only car access you are going to have is off of the main roads / mountain passes. Forest service roads are usually pretty sketch. Get an Oregon map with Snowparks on it and check em out. Usually they are good indicators of where you can access the fun stuff right off a road that will be kept open. If you are up for a drive further south, there is fun snowshoeing at Santiam pass and Tombstone pass on highway 20. Again look for the snowparks! have fun! thumbs_up.gif

I didn't realize this was snowshoegaper.com

A place for people new to the Northwest, or new to the sport to ask questions about whatever. And hopefully get some knowledgable answers from the old salty climbers in the crowd. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, but there is such thing as a stupid person. Absolutely no flaming.
wave.gif

A place for people new to the Northwest, or new to the sport to ask questions about whatever. And hopefully get some knowledgable answers from the old salty climbers in the crowd. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, but there is such thing as a stupid person. Absolutely no flaming.
wave.gif

there is such thing as a stupid person wave.gif

Nice guy.

Normally, I'd suggest going up to Illumination Rock. There's probably enough snow up there now, but a couple weeks ago, I spoke with a gent up at the top of the Palmer snowfield that took an unexpected foray into a crevasse on the way back form there. So, I'd say head up to the Cooper Spur area, and head up to Tie In Rock.

If you pick up any Oregon Hiking book, you're bound to find a description of it; and there's great bivy sites up there as well that are well protected. Have fun snowshoeing...I will too until I can afford a ski habit.

Thanks for all the advice (and gettin my back!). I suppose I wouldn't be gettin all dissed on if I had asked some questions about skiing, huh? The snowboarding I do doesn't seem particularly well suited to cross country travel (although I would look rad skating for 8 hours). As soon as I'm rich I'll invest in some skis.

• 2 weeks later...
I suppose I wouldn't be gettin all dissed on if I had asked some questions about skiing, huh?

Haha, good point wink.gif

As soon as I'm rich I'll invest in some skis.

Nah, you're probably just like me...need to stop investing in expensive microbrew, and start eating more Ramen. That'll get ya there quicker. Cheers!

It's time ! Lots of new snow and the level is low. I'd suggest getting a sno-pass and chains for your vehical, heading up hyw 35 from Hood River, or up hwy 26 from PDX, pulling out where you see a group of cars and heading out towards the trees. Basically what sweatinout said.

Of course, being otherwise well prepared with maps, compass, cell phones, firestarter, etc etc etc etc.

Course you can get more elaborate with the planning if you want: but the time is now - enjoy!

Bill