Everyone's favorite mountain camera

David Trippett

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I use a canon point-and-shoot that was designed for use both underwater and on the surface. I like it because it has big controls, designed for clumsy neoprene gloves, that are easy to work with jumbo gloves on in the mountains. The wide angle lense and point and shoot design mean that I can shoot lots of pictures in the midst of climbing without diverting too much time and attention to photography. I can shoot one handed while belaying, or in mid-lead; I may not even bother to look through the view finder at times. I love my fancy SLR cameras, but they take too much time, care, and attention to use in the midst of the action. The camera is totally waterproof, sturdy and light, so I can drag it through snow or leave it dangling in the rain. You miss some shots with such a simple camera, but you get a lot of others that you might miss if you had to fool around with something fancier and more delicate. I like Velvia slide film. This is a great camera for steep snow or Glacier travel, where you want one hand for the ice ax, but still want to shoot film with your other hand. I carry the camera on a sling, around the neck but with my right arm through the sling. The camera is worn inside my wind shell, which keeps it from getting caught in climbing slings worn outside. I can slide the camera outside the shell and hold it up to my eye with one hand in a moment, and just drop it if I need both hands.

Edited by Nick

Third it.... again.. Epson Stylus. Fast lens and not to shabby glass. Does it get confused from time to time with bright light and such? Yes it does. The good shots far out weigh the bad ones. Light with a battery that last forever it seems. Fits in my cargo pocket or in my chest pocket.. forget I have it with me some of the time.