Partners and gear

rhyang

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a "say" late? Seems like you've always got sumpin' to say...

and what's this about shootin' dollars???

i have pnmonia leave me alone tongue.gif

have i been away so long that you need a new muffy to english dictionary. grin.gif

pnmonia? Oh is that good or bad????

The truth is, he was probably irresistibly coveting your new shiny stuff, drawn by it's mysterious and intoxicating newness. The loss was a foregone conclusion, from the moment he beheld your precious. As everyone knows, bootied gear is inherently better than purchased gear.

Might I suggest that you demand the firstborn?

i dont have them. stuff gets lost all the time if you do this long enuf... nothing new.

funny..."enuf" is a unique enough twist on the real word that I decided to search it here on cc.com.

It reveals some interesting possibilities for the avatar being branded a potential thief.

It depends on the tone of your original query to him. Hopefully it was not accusatory.

A responsible partner should be prompt in replying to a phone message / email asking if any gear got mixed up. I'd rather hear,"Sorry too busy to check my gear until next week" than to hear a nonresponse.

The only gear issue I've had was when someone lost my new picket in the Pickets and replaced it with an old picket (both ends all hammered). Not a big deal.

The biggest money issue I've had was when my driver asked for money to cover gas, maintenance, and insurance, and his insurance calculations were, I only drive on the weekends, so since this was a weekend trip, you're covering half of insurance for the full week (e.g. 1% of his annual bill). I decided to pay up and in the future either don't climb with him or tell him I'm not chipping in for insurance.

So let's say you go climbing with an individual, put your gear into the rack, climb, then return to the car to divvy up your stuff. You've put rack tags on all your biners & cams, marked all your ice screws, etc.

You're tired, you think everything is as it should be, but when you get home and put everything back in its place you are missing a couple of biners.

Your climbing partner from the last weekend lives in a different city, and you send an email & leave a phone message. There is no response, not even a "sorry, I've looked and I don't have them." Finally after a couple of weeks, you see his user ID on cc.com and send him a PM - that gets a response :

i dont have them. stuff gets lost all the time if you do this long enuf... nothing new.

I guess I'm a little annoyed. I printed out maps, paid for permits, led pitches, and brought most of the gear we used.

Am I being unreasonable in asking him to please check again ? What would you think if this was the response you got ?

funny..."enuf" is a unique enough twist on the real word that I decided to search it here on cc.com.

It reveals some interesting possibilities for the avatar being branded a potential thief.

hellno3d.gif Extremely Erroneous hellno3d.gif

It depends on the tone of your original query to him. Hopefully it was not accusatory.

A responsible partner should be prompt in replying to a phone message / email asking if any gear got mixed up. I'd rather hear,"Sorry too busy to check my gear until next week" than to hear a nonresponse.

The only gear issue I've had was when someone lost my new picket in the Pickets and replaced it with an old picket (both ends all hammered). Not a big deal.

The biggest money issue I've had was when my driver asked for money to cover gas, maintenance, and insurance, and his insurance calculations were, I only drive on the weekends, so since this was a weekend trip, you're covering half of insurance for the full week (e.g. 1% of his annual bill). I decided to pay up and in the future either don't climb with him or tell him I'm not chipping in for insurance.

So let's say you go climbing with an individual, put your gear into the rack, climb, then return to the car to divvy up your stuff. You've put rack tags on all your biners & cams, marked all your ice screws, etc.

You're tired, you think everything is as it should be, but when you get home and put everything back in its place you are missing a couple of biners.

Your climbing partner from the last weekend lives in a different city, and you send an email & leave a phone message. There is no response, not even a "sorry, I've looked and I don't have them." Finally after a couple of weeks, you see his user ID on cc.com and send him a PM - that gets a response :

I guess I'm a little annoyed. I printed out maps, paid for permits, led pitches, and brought most of the gear we used.

Am I being unreasonable in asking him to please check again ? What would you think if this was the response you got ?

That is the best story ever. I can't believe someone actually had the nutsack to charge you for insurance!! That is coverage for their property--not your property. Absolutely beautiful. I am going to set a little piggy bank by my front door and insist that people who walk through it contribute to my homeowner's insurance costs. I love it!!! laugh.gif