Sunglasses

Couloir

So, I've been using the same pair of sunglasses forever. Random brands...you name it. Before that I used several different pair of vintage Vuarnet. Great sunglasses by the way. And looking at their website, it seems they still have a significant presence, albeit mostly in Europe.

I'm looking very seriously at Julbo. Specifically, either the Micropores or the Atlas...possibly the Drus. (Hey Dru wave.gif )

For a good set of glasses, primarily used for alpine with potentially long periods of exposure on snow, what do you guys like?

I realize there are a ton out there to choose from. I've looked at Smith, Oakley and a few of the other incumbents, but I keep coming back to Julbos. Thoughts?

Thanks! bigdrink.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of the cheapish julbo colorados. I like them and they are reasonably priced at $50. I have personally never seen an oakley or smith pair of glasses that had lenses nearly dark enough for extended snow use, but I do think I have somewhat sensitive eyes.

I've been using Oakleys for years in the mountains and love them. The black iridium lens (the darkest ones) are plenty dark enough for extended periods in snow, even at altitude. I tried using glacier glasses for a bit, but sport wraps are soooo much more comfortable to wear - and you don't look like a big doofus. Julbos are great, but for some reason don't fit my face. Smiths have one lens thats dark enough, but it's of the mirrored blue variety. My $.02 cents at least.

Smiths have one lens thats dark enough, but it's of the mirrored blue variety.

Smith has a bunch of lenses in the 12-15% VLT range, Black Iridium are 10% VLT. Julbo Arcs are 5% VLT.

I've found for really bright days (spring, new snow, 12k') the 5% is useful, otherwise it's overkill. Sportwraps get nasty sweaty and are way more uncomfortable to wear on a long day.

I have a pair of the Julbo micropores and before I had the lenses swapped out for prescription lenses I used them enough to really like them.

Wanting to see even better though, I had my vision doctor set me up with some semi-mirrored faces, amber gradiant lenses with a non-reflective coating on the inside and there wasn't much of a difference.

Since I'm not one to wear contacts I end up carrying a pair of glasses for after sundown conditions, but with the weight of titanium frames and plastic lenses being what they are, they can go into my sunglass case while they're in use.

Back to the original point though, the Julbos are worth buying in my opinion.

(--Climb on,,,,

Rodeo