Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass PCT Record

wind_river51

Everyone challenges themselves in different ways. That's great! Hearing someone climbed to the summit of rainier in a few hours is interesting; the same goes for long hikes. Saying that you are better than everyone else by not saying anything is your choice, but that doesn't make you better. If I went and hiked 72 miles in 24hrs, I may be interested to know who else did it faster. I think that those of you who post one sentence TR's are worse, but hey it's still nice to hear about them. I don't go on to those threads and say that this is the stupidest thread ever! Or that rock climbing is a worthless sport. At some level everything we do is vain. What does rock climbing mean to a guy in china living on molded rice; a man who works the fields 7 days a week to put rice on our tables?

Stepping off my stage now.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think before the recent detours were installed around Glacier Pk this segment was ~68mi. Seems like it is now around 74mi. I'm certain this has been done sub-24 hours. In the ultrarunning world doing 74 miles in sub-24 without support would not be that unusual. I read about a guy that did the Wonderland Trail (~90mi) in just over 24 hrs unsupported other than he left himself 2 caches.

Here's a segment from a website

http://www.montrail.com/assets/Misc%20Copy/horton_log.htm

that describes David Horton's hike day-by-day. Here he does

~97 miles in 2 days. This is after 2500 miles he's already done.

Day 64 – August 6 To Trinity Trailhead on Temporary PCT Detour Route: Three Days to Go

A satellite phone call came in last night (at 2239) after we had already gone to bed. Then, we left for a hike up White Mountain in the Inyo National Forest at 5AM. Thus, my apology for not getting this out until our return tonight.

Krissy Sybrowsky left a message indicating that David Horton completed 51.0 miles in 18:19 with a 0400-start yesterday, 8/6/05. This was his hardest effort yet on the PCT. He should now be at 2540.2 miles total on the PCT (with 56.3 + 30.5 + 39.1 miles to go the next three days to the finish). Scott Jurek paced him the whole day. If I understand the message correctly, Scott McCoubry met him/them with aid part way during the day. Stephanie Patterson and Krissy met him/them at Boulder Pass and then went back 11 miles with them to the finish. John Wallace and Patti Haskins set up camp.

Day 62 – August 4

A tough day shared with Scott Jurek. The two completed 46.4 miles in 15 hours and 23 seconds. They endured 13,600 feet of climb and 11,200 feet of descent. Tonight they will camp on the trail with the mosquitoes. Leah Jurek, Jon Wallace and Patti Haskins hiked in all of the camp gear and were making dinner when the duo arrived.

I suspect that several of the elite ultrarunners in the Northwest could knock off 100 miles of the PCT, or the Wonderland Trail, in 24 hours or less if they just made up their minds to do so. The 100 mile Western States Endurance Run is actually less demanding than 100 miles of the PCT or the WT would be, at least in terms of elevation gained and lost per mile; but Jurek has won the Western States in 16 hours, or maybe even less.

• 2 weeks later...

Wind river, screw all these low lifes that have nothing better to do. They couldn't hang anyway. I did this section this summer in 47 hours, Stevens to Snoqualmie, 22 lbs gear. I don't care who these losers think they are it's worthy. Yes people can do it faster, but Chris Sharma also climbs 5.15, do you see any of these negative ace clowns climbing 5.15?

• 2 months later...

Well, now you know a whole lot more about travelling fast on trails than most people ever want to. I read about David Horton's speed hike/run last summer and Krissy and Scott's and Scott's support here in Washington. I spoke with Scott McCoubrey a couple days later and he was pretty pumped about David's accomplishment and said he had a good time pacing David.

Anyway, if you did the ~74 miles in 48 or so hours, with a backpack, you should still be aware that you are in pretty good shape and in far better shape that 99+% of Americans!

I've thought about doing this section of the PCT (because it is convenient to get to both ends) or the Wonderland because the distance is somewhat reasonable to mostly run and I don't take either trip lightly.

It doesn't matter whether you set the record or not. There's always someone faster out there, or will be, once they hear about what you did. I think it matters more that you did something most people can't/won't do, did it in good style, got to see some exceptional scenery, and you have a time you can improve on when you do it again next year.

It's all just fun stuff to do to get out from behind your desk and away from the tv.

American View: I did this really fast, but some other guy did it faster, which sucks.

Euro View: It was fun. What a great experience pushing my limits.

hahaha.gif

I'd love to do that part of the trail, but more likely as a mega-light overnight or something. I don't think running it would be my thing but a very brisk hike would be great.