finding-partners etiquette

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Z well enough to know the frequency of the email-checking. Yes, I have Z's phone number, but why should I call if I know email will be cbecked N times a day?

If you were his true "friend" you would have the respect not to air this out on here. I feel like I have reason to air our differences out on this forum, because 1) you initiated the flaming and 2)I aint yo friend. 3)Sadly to admit, I have some bones to pick with you that we never really aired out and its too late to do so personally because I really want nothing to do with you. So this is also for my own cleansing... 4) I really do hope that my harsh advice will be recieved as a wake up call. Its tough for a friend to tell you the hard truth (like you are having trouble doing with Z and likely he is with you) so hence, I, a very vague acquaintence steps in...

You also missed another key point: I emailed Z saying maybe because X got to me first, and then again, 20 minutes later, saying, X found other plans, and we're on. Both these emails were Wed afternoon. I didn't hear back from Z until Thurs afternoon. I have no idea what you're talking about regarding Friday.

My bad, I got the days wrong, besides, the Friday thing was pure conjecture, an example of why he may not have checked his email till the next day. But I apologize for my carelessness. However, If it was Tuesday, and he got back to you on Wednesday afternoon, that still gives you wed night, thurs, and fri to find a weekend partner.

And to shamelessly reiterate via self-quotation:

“Besides, you gave him a non-commital answer. Maybe he didnt appreciate YOUR flakiness. Did you expect him to fret over WTF you were going to do every hour for the next 24 hours? Did he ever commit to you? no. He got back to you in one day. that is pretty damned accdeptable in my book. He simply heard a non-commital answer from you, recieved no phone call, MIGHT not have gotten the email saying you were on until Wednesday (edit: a sent email is not necessarily an immediately read one) probably has a busy life that revolves around more than climbing and geeking out, and decided to move on to something else. Why should he apologize? He has nothing to be sorry for.
Be sensible, quit bitching, and realize not everyone has the same standards and priorities that you may have.

...I emailed Z after all the mess and asked if there was confusion over the two emails (offering an easy exit), and I didn't get a reply, nor was there a mention of any of it when I saw Z Friday night.

Now THAT might have been flaky. However, maybe he was fighting your self-centrered assumptions with passive aggression. Personally, I dislike both. His motivations, though, are unknown to this forum aside from your testimony, which has a cerain spin to it. However, you said you would see him Friday so maybe he ASSUMED you guys could talk about what happened mono-a-mono.

boxing_smiley.gif

Ok, I think I just reverse-engineered your identity (we crossed paths at Index a few months ago on GNS, though our bad experience together was a year earlier elsewhere). ……I got a very bad impression (picking me up in the morning two hours late because you were up late drinking certainly wasn't a good start --.

Not sure I've ever saw you elsewhere. As far as I know, I have only met you that one time that we climbed together, but maybe you saw me and I didnt see you???

I wonder just how many people have shared a "less-than enriching" day of cragging with you??? Of course, this makes me wonder who, besides you, has had a negative experience climbing with me? I must ponder this... confused.gif

To summarize: I think you implicitly project unrealistic expectations uponn situations and others and are continually let down when they dont meet your impossibly high standards. If you want to stop this, recognize the pattern and do something to modify it. Forgive yourself and others for their errors. I forgive you for our bad experiece, that is one reason why I am trying to help you get outside your perspective. You did ask for other peoples opinions, afterall. Well, you got it. Now try to absorb and listen.

Oh and DeChristo,

“Why do feel the need to be so self-centered…..(ad nauseum)?” Well played. It looks like this guffaw of mine is going to get a lot of mileage!!!! I think I pulled a Howard Dean on that one!

Everyone else: I’m glad you are enjoying the drama. I think its pretty damned funny myself.

yelrotflmao.gif

To summarize: I think you implicitly project unrealistic expectations uponn situations and others and are continually let down when they dont meet your impossibly high standards.

so, in other words, expect people to be flaky? yellaf.gif honestly, gary; climbers *are* flaky ... to an extent i have not experienced in other "groups" i've been involved with ...

I'd like to see some more personal details aired in public. Perhaps you two share a love interest? Or maybe just maybe you both have feelings for each other you haven't expressed. shocked.gif

Of course you can also go the junior high route and meet after scool out by the bike racks. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Please keep us posted grin.gif

I'd like to see some more personal details aired in public. Perhaps you two share a love interest? Or maybe just maybe you both have feelings for each other you haven't expressed. shocked.gif

Of course you can also go the junior high route and meet after scool out by the bike racks. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Please keep us posted grin.gif

There's your violence Olyclimber

There isn't any need to divulge any more details, aside from keeping the peanut gallery entertained.

Seymour, you're right: I'm an elitist perfectionist with a disdain for mediocrity and people who waste my time. Clearly I need to lower my expectations. How's this for a start?

"I am smart."

NEW expectation: i have a positive self-esteem

"I know how to cook."

NEW expectation: i can pour boiling water on ramen

"I can swing leads at 5.9."

NEW expectation: i flailed up a 5.9 once

"I want to climb Liberty Ridge this spring."

NEW expectation: i just learned how to put crampons on

Will this help cure me of my disease?

Looks like I'm gonna let you guys down...

Gary,

I got pretty worked up today over this whole silly thing. Upon reflection, I made some realizations about my actions and their effects and consequences.

So I am extending my apologies right now. I went about things in the wrong way. I should have treated you with more respect and not tried to point out your flaws when I have a host of my own to work on. Maybe, I will fall into this trap less often from now on... Anyway, I am sorry for the mud slinging. You are right, our personalities simply clash.

Best of luck in your search for happiness and fulfillment.