The moat on the north face of Vesper?

highclimb

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been up there this year, but I climbed the North Face last Aug 27. The moat crossing was a non-issue then, partially because of how the base of the route meets the snow. We were able to walk down into the moat and onto the rock. Mellow, and I was glad to have crampons.

If it is bad you can traverse into the upper part of the route from near the col via some lovely Beckey 4th class slabs.

Vesper_Peak_Slab_Jens_on_lead_in_dihedral_08-27-00.jpg

Cheers-

Loren

Here's what it's like:

Glacier.JPG

45 degrees for a short bit, then gets easier. In this particular case, I kicked steps with my plastics (no crampons), and my friend, who just had leather hikers, used them as footsteps. In climbing back up the snow (after we bailed), he fixed our one pair of crampons to his boots.

You may be ok with stiff boots and no crampons. But doing it again, I would probably take light leather hikers and put those aluminum stubai crampons on them - that's a rockin' combo.

tennis shoes adian, you got hike some miles to get there and the old skool way of big boots is a waste of energy. you can fit those plastic bailed crampons on any shoe. if you want give me a call and i will loan you mine.

no more boots...no more boots!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes to all.

I wore my rock shoes, but I am not a great rock climber. The first half is pretty moderate and juggy. The slab section is fun and also moderate, but pretty runout. It is harder in the corner where there is a bit of pro, and easier in the middle, where there is no pro.

You'll cruise it. Strap on the nitro! ;-)

-Loren