The What Did You Do This Weekend Thread

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the late entry, but my "weekend" just ended.

I spent two days climbing in the Smoke Bluffs, after a two-year forced hiatus due to various tendon injuries frown.gif. My climbing partner for the two days hadn't climbed in years - his canvas EBs and Willans harness were still state-of-the-art when he last tied into a rope. So we're talking full-on Bumblies, here. I was afraid that two years of not climbing would mean that my abilities would have deteriorated, but I found that in fact I still suck exactly as much as I ever did laugh.gif. I have, however, decided to modify the grading of all climbs in my guide book by adding the letter "d": for instance, Mosquito (5.8) will now read "Mosquito (5.8d)" and Corner Crack (5.7) will now read "Corner Crack (5.7d)" This, I feel, more accurately reflects my personal experience of these climbs.

The third day of my weekend was spent taking said friend for a hike up to Echo Lake, across the river from Squamish. Next time you're sitting outside Starbucks or the IGA (or my store, for that matter grin.gif) look across the valley to the west and you'll see a series of waterfalls coming down the side of Mount Lapworth. At the top of all those falls and cascades is Echo Lake. So we hiked up through 3,000 feet of waterfalls and pools and cascades and rain forest, eating blueberries and huckleberries all the way. Then we spent the afternoon swimming, sunning on the rocks, exploring around the lakeshore, swimming some more, eating more blueberries and huckleberries, then going swimming again to wash off all the blueberry and huckleberry stains, and then sunning on the rocks some more. Then we hiked back down, eating blueberries and huckleberries all the way back to the river, and finished the day being eaten alive by the most voracious mosquitoes I've ever encountered while loading the canoe onto the truck. I think they were some variant strain of Africanized, Killer Mosquito. Fortunately we were able to get into the truck before the main swarm arrived, and escaped to the Brew Pub for dinner.

Best three days off in a long, long time. And next week I get to do it all again fruit.gif