[TR] The Beer Fairy- 6/26/2005

Gary_Yngve

Climb: The Beer Fairy-

Date of Climb: 6/26/2005

Trip Report:

Sunday morning and we were hustling up the Snow Lake Trail. My pack elicited a few smirks, and when they read the sign on the back, a few giggles.

But finally, I had my first customer. He was expecting a six-pack of Coors. He was certainly flabbergasted to see a 6-pack of Deschutes, a 6-pack of Big Sky, and a 6-pack of Elk Rock, all chilled on ice. We took a picture, and then he got his camera out and asked for a picture too.

We had more customers at Gem Lake and Melakawa Lake, all similarly excited to run into the Beer Fairy and his choice inventory.

near Snow Lake

zIMG_1027.JPG

Gem Lake

zIMG_1030.JPG

Melakawa Lake

zIMG_1054.JPG

======

Signs used:

ICE COLD BEER

$1 / km from trailhead

21 AND OVER ONLY

---

A BEER

FOR A

KISS

---

Abercrombie

Wilderness

Organ Transplant

Team

======

Earnings:

$1.81, no kisses, no kidneys

But it was a lot of fun. We brightened a lot of people's days and had some good conversations with them. Ice-cold beer was the last thing they expected to bump into back there. And I suppose it was good weight training.

Gear Notes:

Had only two brews leftover, but the full bag (7lb) of ice was way excessive.

Approach Notes:

The slopes of Chair Lake were completely melted out. Drunken scree-surfing was probably easier than sober scree-surfing.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can do is applaude you ability to focus. I don't think I would have made it past the trailhead before I started to "get high off my own supply", and that would have been it.

I certainly hope you didn't wear little wings and announce that you were a fairy, thought that might explain the lack of kisses recieved.

In all though, it sounds like you had fun, and at least that is one less person that I need to convince on this board that having fun is really were its at. Well done Mr. Yngve.

Goodness, Gary. Last week was our picnic on the Tooth. This week you're distributing beer among hikers. Is there a trend here? Have you moved on from the days of minimalist bivies on Stuart to regular luxury outings?

And more importantly, with your new mountaineering style, might I finally stand a chance at getting you to carry most of the gear next time we go climbing? So far my suggestions that I carry an itty bitty daypack and my partner carry the bulk of the gear has met with only laughter from my climbing partners. wink.gif

Gary,

You, ania and your friends have just waaaaaaaay too much style for the likes of this board. I applaud your sense of humor, gusto, and taste. While I've packed beers on longer outings, it's never been in bottles (Brilliant!) and certainly never on ice (reminds me of the scene in Eiger Sanction...)!

I'd like to run into you again sometime, on a trail, while you're flitting about distributing frosty malted beverages and other such tasty comestibles. Cheers! cool.gif