Can't Gain Weight!

Anybody know of a good way to bulk up and build more muscle without using supplements. I'm 6'4" and 185 lbs and have been weightlifting and on a "see-food" diet for a year now and haven't put on a pound. I do have an active lifestyle and 3 kids to chase after, so that is part of my problem. Any ideas would be helpful. (I've already tried beer and pretzels bigdrink.gif, but seriously, any ideas on how to gain weight healthfully?)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a "see-food" diet? You mean you just eat whatever you want?

Try eating more low fat protein. Whey is cheep and good. Stay away from Soy.

Whats your goals for this weight? You wanna look like a bodybuilder? Personally I wouldn't want to gain weight as a climber.

Why are you trying to put on weight? Do you just want to look stronger, or is there a specific quantity of strength that you want to gain?

I believe the fastest way to build muscle is to tear it, so you have to go by an intense weight program involving sets of 6-10 reps of heavy weight, to failure and then some (make the last rep negative resistance, with a spotter). Then you have to constantly up the weight to match strength gains, so that you are always failing at reps less than 10. And then you eat lots of protein while the muscles recover from the damage. It should really hurt for at least the first few workouts. Make the sets longer or the weight heavier when it stops hurting. Then make sure not to get too much aerobic exercise, that'll just get in the way of bulking up. A little is good I think but you don't want to waste all of your calories.

That being said I personally see no value to putting on muscle this way, as it is not coordinated, not activity-specific, and it will hurt your aerobic performance to be carrying around way more muscle mass than you need for most activities. But it is popular with the ladies I guess.

Yes, a see-food diet is where I see food and I eat it. HCL.gif

Want to get bigger, stronger, faster, etc. etc.

So far all I have is a single page flyer from a local hospital on how to gain weight healthfully. Anyone with practical experience to share with me would be most appreciated.

Why are you trying to put on weight? Do you just want to look stronger, or is there a specific quantity of strength that you want to gain?

I believe the fastest way to build muscle is to tear it, so you have to go by an intense weight program involving sets of 6-10 reps of heavy weight, to failure and then some (make the last rep negative resistance, with a spotter). Then you have to constantly up the weight to match strength gains, so that you are always failing at reps less than 10. And then you eat lots of protein while the muscles recover from the damage. It should really hurt for at least the first few workouts. Make the sets longer or the weight heavier when it stops hurting. Then make sure not to get too much aerobic exercise, that'll just get in the way of bulking up. A little is good I think but you don't want to waste all of your calories.

That being said I personally see no value to putting on muscle this way, as it is not coordinated, not activity-specific, and it will hurt your aerobic performance to be carrying around way more muscle mass than you need for most activities. But it is popular with the ladies I guess.

Actually, that is what I have been doing, and my strength has greatly improved, (Increased my bench-press, curls, shrugs) but I still have seen no increase in weight or mass.

Gaining more weight has little to do with being stronger (as you yourself have observed), faster (duh), or in "top shape". As you work out, you are probably actually "converting" fat mass to muscle mass, so you don't notice weight gain.

If you want to measure fitness, use something like VO2max, maximum bench press weight, mile time, Mt. Si time, highest redpoint grade, etc.

Actually, that is what I have been doing, and my strength has greatly improved, (Increased my bench-press, curls, shrugs) but I still have seen no increase in weight or mass.

Also you might try supersets. Do the same as described above (although I'd say 5-7 reps to failure), but each time you get to failure immediately drop some weight and continue to failure. Do this for 3-4 different weights/sets all in a row.

E.g. curl 45 lb dumbells to failure (5-7 reps) , immediately grab 40 lb dumbells and rep to failure, immediately grab 35 lb dumbells and rep to failure, and do the same down to 30 (if you can stand the pain). The top weight you start with should be the one that you can just do 5-7 reps with, of course.

Do 3 sets of "supersets" if you can stand it. It ends up being much more strenuous than 9-12 regular sets. For benchpress/military/etc, you'll need a partner to help drop weights off quickly - don't rest between them or you lose the burn/effects.

Well stick with it and make sure to eat enough protein and calories in general. You can also make your sets longer to really get that tear on. Definitely try the going past failure and negative reps thing too. Supposedly there is an ideal number of reps for muscle-building and I think it's somewhere around 6-10. Bulk comes harder for some than others but it's always going to be a slow process.

Personally I would just be thankful for being toned and light, which leads to better health and better aerobic capabilities.

There are a couple explanations as to why you aren't bulking up, and I really don't think this has to do with how many reps you are doing, and it doesn't sound like you aren't eating enough unless you really feel like you are cannibalizing your body.

The less likely one but possibly a variable in the overall scheme of things is the makeup of your muscles. If you have a very high percentage of slow twitch fibers, like it kind of sounds like, you are going to have a harder time putting on mass then someone with a more even ratio.

The most likely possibility is that you are not producing a high enough training stress or overall cumulative training stress to see a significant adaptation. Part of this could be that you need to have a really hard workout to produce a training stress of any significance, which can be great if you are in really good shape and an athlete. The more likely scenario, saying that you have children, is that you might just not be making it to the gym enough. To see real significant gains you need to be lifting about 3 to 4 times a week. While this is a theory of mine, I think people with high metabolic activity may tend to detrain quicker then others, and it sounds like you fit this profile. If you aren't eating enough your body could also be eating away your gains on your rest day.

The current improvements you are seeing in strength right now are most likely due to small changes in the muscle cells and neuromuscular development which make you stronger but without adding mass. My suggestion would be to try to make it to the gym a minimum of 3 days a week and do sets of increasing weight and decreasing reps, so say bench start with 10 reps at 115 and when you are done 4 reps at 155, and do like 4 to 8 sets. To put on mass you really need to be challenging your muscles towards their maximum outputs. Another common mistake made by most everyone is to do their cardio workout before they lift. This is great if you are just trying to put on some lean muscle mass or increase muscular endurance, but for increasing maximum strength and muscle volume you are targeting the wrong energy system. A warmup for a lifting workout would be a maximum of 10 minutes on an exercise bike or rowing machine, any longer and your aerobic system starts to really kick in. There are other things that you can throw in as well like highly explosive lifts and doing what is commonly called negatives, where you are doing a slow movement in the eccentric part of the lift. Another one is holding the lift at the end of the eccentric phase before transitioning to the concentric movement.

Hope this helps.

My suggestion would be to try to make it to the gym a minimum of 3 days a week and do sets of increasing weight and decreasing reps, so say bench start with 10 reps at 115 and when you are done 4 reps at 155, and do like 4 to 8 sets. To put on mass you really need to be challenging your muscles towards their maximum outputs. Another common mistake made by most everyone is to do their cardio workout before they lift. This is great if you are just trying to put on some lean muscle mass or increase muscular endurance, but for increasing maximum strength and muscle volume you are targeting the wrong energy system. A warmup for a lifting workout would be a maximum of 10 minutes on an exercise bike or rowing machine, any longer and your aerobic system starts to really kick in. There are other things that you can throw in as well like highly explosive lifts and doing what is commonly called negatives, where you are doing a slow movement in the eccentric part of the lift. Another one is holding the lift at the end of the eccentric phase before transitioning to the concentric movement.

Hope this helps.

I'd recommend a more serious training regimen.

For bulking up you want to do low reps - 5-7. Only do 10 reps for a warmup set (and maybe a warm down).

Go with 9-12 sets for any muscle group. Ideally workout 3 days on and one day off (that means 5-6 workouts a week). A good breakdown is:

day 1: chest and back

day 2: biceps and triceps

day 3: legs and shoulders

Don't neglect legs or you will not see the gains on the upper body. Squats, leg presses, and deadlifts are key to bulking up. Stay away from the toning exercises.

In general, pyramiding your sets is good, but don't drop the weight until you hit failure at 5-6 reps. Again, I recommend trying out supersets as well.

Yes Dru that is an important point. Everyone always underestimates the psychological aspect of beefing up. It's useful to get in a mindset that will reinforce your physical regimen. A healthy illusion that no matter what you do, you never seem to gain any muscle, is a good start. The tapeworm mantra encourages positive calorie differential, and the tapeworm image can be subsituted with stress, hyperactivity, over-active metabolism, etc. I think those magazines with the impossibly ripped dudes on the cover work for some people, because that reminds you just how puny you really are. Also, keep in mind that women are not attracted to skinny dudes (although it sounds like for you that is not a concern, having a family and all). Additionally, if you have violent tendencies, or are capable of paranoia, then be aware that at any moment you could just be hanging out and a guy will just come at you when you least expect it, and you will be forced to defend yourself and/or those around you. Also, you will look better in general and get more civility and respect from others once you have put on a little muscle, and this can even have important implications in business relationships, depending on one's vocation. I know there's more but that's all I can think of right now.

I'd recommend a more serious training regimen.

For bulking up you want to do low reps - 5-7. Only do 10 reps for a warmup set (and maybe a warm down).

Go with 9-12 sets for any muscle group. Ideally workout 3 days on and one day off (that means 5-6 workouts a week). A good breakdown is:

day 1: chest and back

day 2: biceps and triceps

day 3: legs and shoulders

Don't neglect legs or you will not see the gains on the upper body. Squats, leg presses, and deadlifts are key to bulking up. Stay away from the toning exercises.

In general, pyramiding your sets is good, but don't drop the weight until you hit failure at 5-6 reps. Again, I recommend trying out supersets as well.

You are out of your fucking mind. Who besides a goddamn meathead would do something like that, spend 6 days in the gym destroying yourself? Don't neglect your legs or you won't see upper body gain? Is that why every guy at the gym is shaped like a lightbulb? Or is it because you upper body increases mass 50% quicker then you lower body. Hitting each muscle group only twice and week but annilating your muscles will not achieve significant gains because you body will always be in a deficit.

You are out of your fucking mind. Who besides a goddamn meathead would do something like that, spend 6 days in the gym destroying yourself?

That's how to bulk up. Doing lots of cardio/toning will not bulk you up. Neither will minimal visits to the gym (1 hr 3 days a week doesn't cut it). Isn't this what the poster was requesting - how to gain weight - muscle weight? If gaining weight means fat, well, just go to McD's every day and "super size" it. rolleyes.gif

Hitting each muscle group only twice and week but annilating your muscles will not achieve significant gains because you body will always be in a deficit.

Nonsense. Your muscles have time to recup because you focus on certain muscles on specific days and don't work them out again for 4 days. You don't "annihilate" anything. You tear down your muscles and then rebuild them through rest (don't exercise that muscle for several days) and nutrition.

And I feel more "annihilated" after certain glacier climbs than a couple weeks of weight training with 3 days on and one day off. The latter is a cake-walk by comparison. rolleyes.gif