"Orange Wall" at Mt Erie

scot'teryx

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone told me the Fidalgo Complex is an ophiolite. Ophiolite is formed in areas of rifting where two oceanic plates are being forced apart by addition of new magma from below. The types of rocks which form at spreading ridges are strongly influenced by both igneous and metamorphic processes. This region was a mixing zones, where both solids (lavas) and fluids from the Earth's crust and mantle interact with seawater, resulting in extensive low temperature and low pressure alteration of existing minerals and precipitation of new ones.

The worlds largest exposed ophiolite is in Newfoundland and a relict of the closing of the ocean which preceded the Atlantic, IIRC. But honestly, just because we live on coastlines we thinbk they are common as mud...we dont know how lucky we have it. I bet there are literally thousands of disadvantaged geologists out there who have never seen an ophiolite. I will trade some to them for a chunk of nepheline syenite. [geek]

quote:

Originally posted by scot'teryx:

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

the big buttress before orange wall on the prow. I bet it would reveal 2 pitch climb of good quality on the arete.

Do you mean "The Cirque"?

I know there is one line that is bolted already that runs at 11d or something

I doubt the line I was looking at would be harder than 10a. But sounds like the area......

Uncle Tricky wins the geology question of the day. I did an interview with a geology prof from WWU a couple of years ago and asked him what Erie was made out of.

Apparently the rock is less resistent to normal erosion, which is why it is still there and is really devoid of classical crack lines. Thing I've always wondered was why the stuff down at Shady Hallow, Black Wall and the Boulder Gardens (ie Goliath Boulder) was slick and dark compared to he really sharp volcanic feel of stuff on Orange Walls, Madrone Wall Slabs and Orange Wall Slabs to the inbetween stuff on the Main Wall and Skyline area.

FYI Dallas has gone back and bolted a number of good routes (5.8-5.10) up around the Skyline and Main Wall areas. Was out at Skyline yesterday and had a wonderful time up on Sidewinder, Convulsions and Ain't it Nifty to Be Fifty.

Hopefully heading out tomorrow if I can find a partner. [Cool]

The impressive line on The Cirque does go in the 11s. Caveman's personal friend Smoot got it wrong in saying that its a popular line. I think me and Dallas are the only ones I've seen climbing there. Turtleback Arete on the left side of the Cirque is a good climb, scant pro, but moderate. [Eek!]

quote:

Originally posted by scot'teryx:

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

the big buttress before orange wall on the prow. I bet it would reveal 2 pitch climb of good quality on the arete.

Do you mean "The Cirque"?

I know there is one line that is bolted already that runs at 11d or something

That's 5.11d in the SDS (Scot'teryx Decimal System).