Rechargeable batteries for digital cameras

mike_m

My Nikon digi camera uses rechargeable batteries; I'm wondering if those cells will hold their charge for an Alaska trip, or if I'm better off using something else. Anybody out there have any experience with those batteries in the cold?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a digital video camera on my alaska trip and used solar charges to recharge the batteries. I had to piece together a system but it worked great. I was also able to run my CD player off the chargers until a cloud would cut the power.

I think the chargers were called Isport or Isun and they were yellow. I bought them at boaters world. I hooked 2 of them together to get enough power. I then had to buy a batter charger adapter. Worked really good for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My Nikon digi camera uses rechargeable batteries; I'm wondering if those cells will hold their charge for an Alaska trip, or if I'm better off using something else. Anybody out there have any experience with those batteries in the cold?

I assume your Nikon uses the EN EL-1 Nikon lithium rechargable. You can BUY one-time use lithium batteries for back up! Duracell makes the "245" and I've used it in my Nikon Coolpix5400. It lasts a long time; much longer, in fact, than the rechargable. Costs about $9 each, and I would think 4 or 5 of them would last an entire West Buttress trip.

You can BUY one-time use lithium batteries for back up! Duracell makes the "245" and I've used it in my Nikon Coolpix5400. It lasts a long time; much longer, in fact, than the rechargable.

I used a similar battery for my Patagonia trip. 800 pictures, 2 months, 1 battery.