Round 1

Wallstein

I know this is a climbing forum, but my experience tends to be more with running, and I think we're all hinting at the same thing. Last week in NY, I ran my first marathon. I didn't really train for it, and my longest training run prior to it was 8 miles.

Anyway, I cruised through 10 miles in 68 minutes, and approached halfway in 1hr 30mins. I thought to myself, "Wow, I have a good chance of breaking 3 hours." Little did I know though that my body had other ideas. By mile 15, my right knee was locking up. At mile 18, both knees were locking up and my left calf was cramping with every step. I stopped to get a little treatment and carried on. For the next 6 miles, I kind of walked / limped on. At mile 24 though, there were thousands of folks lining Fifth Ave and Central Park. My feet were aching, my groin was cramping up, my calf was crmaping and my knees were locking. I willed myself over the line in a more modest 3hrs 57mins. I was knackered though yet felt a brief moment of euphoria. Almost 2 weeks later, I'm still hurting.

Afterwards, I started wondering why I put myself through these ordeals, and I think that whether it's climbing, running, or some other endurance activity, we people are the ones that still retain a remote longing to feel like we're doing something out of the ordinary.

Every year to me, life seems a little more out of control than the last. Every year that wish to prove one’s self seems a little more unattainable and so the bar for satisfaction raises a little higher. Conversely though, our goals become a little more modest, our ambitions dim a little more. There's little chance to reconcile these polar feelings. So, what are we supposed to do? Well, you can abdicate yourself from expected social norms and choose instead to dabble in little adventures that titillate and tease the endorphins. How long can that last though? The other option of course, is to simply get on with life like most folks are doing and not bemoan the mundane but instead celebrate the small things that crop up every day versus seeking out that one big rush that may never materialize.

The small things may be the challenge faced on a less well known route versus some gnarly alpine hero quest. I think it's important that we figure out why we're doing these things instead of just doing them. Then, we may be more likely to enjoy them instead of almost always feeling empty at the end of a summit or marathon, and believing that maybe the next big one will deliver the unknown holy grail. I realize I may be talking out of my arse, but I know you'll all let me know quickly enough.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Quality thread. This is why I like this website.

Of the stories I have heard and the pictures I have seen, I am just afraid of going to Patagonia!

I can't climb over 5.9. Hell, I can't even climb right now. Hell, I can't even walk.....

You know what really scares me? My wife. Oh, and my future child too.

I don't know who is running to the store at 10:30 for ice cream down at Stef's place, but a couple of us took him on a short furlough last Friday, and homeboy was like a kid in a candy store at the video store.

Didn't realize a guy who can't walk could get around so fast. [big Grin]

Nice 5.4 move getting into the car too.

You know I just read this whole thread looking for the "40 posts of spray" [sic] that got MattP so bee-up-his-butt riled up and I couldnt find them??? (See thread entitled "You Guys Suck" in Spray if you are new to this debate) I liked reading the TRs and thought Ray's was a good antidote to a thread that was veering into solemn chestbeating territory. [big Drink]

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Once in a while I think do the next more difficult route. But then reality hits that I will never be a tough mountain climber. So now I just stick to where I belong. I challenge myself that is for sure but not every climb for me needs to be that way. I like walk up routes and scrambles. If I want to make them more difficult then I solo or try them in winter. If I fail then I learn and do again.

There are very *vague* goals I set each season and I usually obtain them but if I dont then I just try it again or move on. There are a few climbs that still give me a head scratcher from time to time but I just try not to dwell on them. Climbing with older folks than me has taught me that just being there is way cooler in the long run.
[big Drink]

I did not see a ton of spray either. and to explain why I quoted cavey here, not only do I believe this to be honest, I KNOW this to be wisdom.

Dru,

About a page and a half of spray got deleted by whomever. See the long time gap between Caveman's and forrest_m's posts between 11/7 and 11/8. Forrest_m's post that starts with "well, let’s see, after all the excitement, can we restart this?" is the first post-thread-distillation post.