Johnny's The Man!

Peter_Puget

John Bachar~~Top roping is the purest form of roped climbing, you are free from artificial positions obtained when trying to clip, there is always some slack in the rope, unlike the tension you get when clipping. You are free to concentrate on the pure climbing moves.

All I can add is that's an ideal for living!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, Peter! And take it from a guy who climbs as "purely" with a rope as he does without one. It is a fact that some climbs are easier to clip up than to top-rope. Take Model Worker for example. If you do the big traverse move dynamically (as many people do), you'll notice that with the bolt clipped behind you it is easier to catch the ledge, as rope drag controls your barn door. I've never come off that move on the lead, but I've missed it a couple of times on TR.

My point: TR is not only a purer form of climbing, it is infinitely better for aesthetics at the crag (since it leaves no trace). In some cases it is more difficult than clipping bolts, but in every case it is closer to a sport climber's aspiration (pure movement unencumbered by 'quipment) than sport climbing itself!

The absurd examples offered by GregW et al. might be amusing, but I think Johnny B. is promoting top-roping on short crag climbs instead of littering them with bolts.

Bachar is king.

[ 10-30-2002, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: pope ]

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

Did you forget about soloing? As far as leave no trace its even better than those unsightly TR anchors everywhere. You think I'm joking but then again maybe I'm just a young punk with not much to lose. Maybe your an old man who just can't get it up anymore

You really don't know what you've got to lose since your future...the future you stand to sacrifice every time you solo...cannot be presently known.

In fact, I once loved soloing...I probably climbed more without a rope than with, back in the late 80's. I had a couple of close calls and then I got wise, but my brushes with death were such that I feel lucky to be here. I climb recreationally; I have a family and a job I really like. Whatever satisfaction I got from soloing was not so great that it would have been worth missing all of this.

Also, solo climbing can leave quite a mess....if you splat!