Easy Name That Peak

Blake

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are talking about "F", I think that is Sloan or White Chuck, but I'm really bad at these things.

edit: I guess I'm a little late. Was this picture taken from Johannesburg? Eldorado?

Was taken from Sahale. A=Formidable B=Rainier C= Monte Cristo Area? D=Mix-up E=Monte Cristo Area? F=Sloan

Ooo ooo ooo, can I play? Please? Please can I?...

Photo looking NW from Gray Peak in the Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness. Mt. Goode is the pointy thing at left-center. Logan is right of Goode but just left of center. Black Peak is just right of center. Mt. Gibbs (aka Bugger Mountain) is the dark horn at right-center. And Reynolds Peak is the big thing at far right. In the foreground is Pt. 7960+ and Tuckaway Lake.

tongue.gif

Photo looking NW from Gray Peak in the Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness. Mt. Goode is the pointy thing at left-center. Logan is right of Goode but just left of center. Black Peak is just right of center. Mt. Gibbs (aka Bugger Mountain) is the dark horn at right-center. And Reynolds Peak is the big thing at far right. In the foreground is Pt. 7960+ and Tuckaway Lake.

tongue.gif

I was wondering when you'd show up. grin.gif You forgot a few on the left side, including one that blends in with Buckner. Extra Credit: What is the relative date and location of the fire, based upon smoke concentration?

Is that the fire that was going in Reynolds Creek in early September?

Sure was.

I was camped a few miles north in the Fish Creek drainage, but I made a "Klenke-esqe" day of summit bagging, and visited Gray, Courtney, Buttermilk, and Oval, staying as high as possible along the way. I then looped down across the Oval Lakes and back up the shoulder of Gray Peak and down to the summit trail, then north to my camp. I later learned that I had been in a closed-off area while on the Twisp River side of the drainage. blush.gif There are spots up there where you can see all but one of Washington's "niners".

Totally different places, miles and miles apart. Goode is visible from both spots though....

Sorry. In my haste I neglected to reference the comment klenke makes for this photo:

"In the foreground right of center is Pk 7450 near the head of Rainbow Creek(#13). Mt. Logan is on horizon and Mt. Goode is at far left."

In the words of my real and complex analysis prof: "the rest is trivial!"

Nice photo.

If you are talking about "F", I think that is Sloan or White Chuck, but I'm really bad at these things.

edit: I guess I'm a little late. Was this picture taken from Johannesburg? Eldorado?

Was taken from Sahale. A=Formidable B=Rainier C= Monte Cristo Area? D=Mix-up E=Monte Cristo Area? F=Sloan

I need to pull out a small scale map & play with it but I have a hard time with C or E as Monte Cristo stuff. Now I'll go & try to figure out better what's what...

Tuckaway Lake is cool. I swear I caught the same fish in there three times in a row.

tongue.gif

Sloan is visible from just about everywhere, seems like a topographical anomaly (if there even is such a thing) for a peak that's not among the higher in the state, but it's become a running joke w/ some of my climbing friends that if you aren't sure what a peak on the horizon is it must be Sloan.

168P7050080-med.JPG

This is a view roughly north from somewhere around Tyee Ridge (possibly Signal Peak thereon). Duncan Hill and Gopher Mountain are at left; Cardinal Peak is at right. The river below is the Entiat.

MisterMo: not sure exactly what C is but Painted Mountain is in that area. E is probably Kyes Peak. It's definitely the Monte Cristo Group. G is Mt. Bruseth (most likely).

MisterMo: not sure exactly what C is but Painted Mountain is in that area. E is probably Kyes Peak. It's definitely the Monte Cristo Group. G is Mt. Bruseth (most likely).

I fussed a bit with my giant wall sized geologic map of the state, the only one handy enough and big enough. E seems awfully far "east' to be Keyes, etc. even allowing for how far east the camera point is. wouldn't be the first time I've been fooled though..