Easy/moderate slogs this weekend?

Squid

Anyone care to recommend a glorified hike for me this weekend?

This would be a good weekend for me to hit some stuff that might not otherwise feel very interesting.

Comments on Mt. Daniels, Kyes Peak?

I'm hurting for ideas. Throw me a friggin' bone here, people.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daniels. Man, that would be one long walk. The road must be blocked way back from the trailhead due to some snow.

Expect rain showers below 3000 feet and snow above that this weekend. Go east if you want to have a nice hike. I recommend this book for eastern Washington. You would be surprised at how nice the places are.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductD...vcat=REI_SEARCH

What part of you is injured?

If it's not your legs, come on over to the east side and make a quick jaunt up Goat Peak on Saturday, then on Sunday take a long stroll up to the top of the Fife's Peak group, most likely West Fife Peak (6,880).

The gain for Fife's is about 3,500 feet in 1.5 miles, through game trails and bushwhacking or 4+ miles if you stick to the Crow Creek Way trail. Access Fife's from the Crow Creek Way Trailhead located at the Fife's Peak viewpoint on SR 410 at MP 81.5

Goat Peak is across the road and down a bit, has about the same gain over twice the trail length. Access the trail from Hell's Crossing Campground and the Pleasant Valley loop trail on the south side of SR 410 around MP 84 or so.

Both received about three inches of new snow last weekend while we were up on the West Peak of Fife's. It was a near white-out, and it was pretty cool. Then it got dark. We got "misplaced" on the way down and ended up with a twelve-hour day, car to car. cantfocus.gif

Eric's Base Camp has some credible beta here for the main peak, which can be used for the West Peak as well. Also, Beckey's CAG #1.

If you go to Kyes, bring a bike. The Index/Galena road is gated for the winter well before the trailhead.

No it's not. That's just a drive around barricade. don't know if you get a ticket past it or not, but I see a lot of rigs up there.

Both slides are easily passable as of two days ago. Haven't been past Garland lately but as of mid Jan you could have easily driven to the little washout right before Lake Blanca Trail.

OTOH if you respect the barricades it's an easy bike up there, well under an hour.

Where did you go? Anyone happen to know the conditions on the Cascade River Road, or on Sahale for a ski ascent?

I've got about 40hours starting at 11AM saturday and I'm looking for an alpine objective from Bellingham. Any other thoughts for places to check out?