I want Tyvek

Blake

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you REALLY want something that's vapor permeable for your tent floor?

http://www.tyvek.com/whatistyvek.htm

Allison, how's your tyvek floor holding up on the snow?

I'm not Allison but I do have a couple of footprints that I use that are tyvek. I have had good luck with them on the snow. I did have one time last year that I got a little damp but then again it was in the upper 30's low 40's and every thing wa slowly melting. Over all I have been pretty happy with mine. I may have a piece you can have Blake how big you looking for?

Do you REALLY want something that's vapor permeable for your tent floor?

http://www.tyvek.com/whatistyvek.htm

Allison, how's your tyvek floor holding up on the snow?

I'm not Allison but I do have a couple of footprints that I use that are tyvek. I have had good luck with them on the snow. I did have one time last year that I got a little damp but then again it was in the upper 30's low 40's and every thing wa slowly melting. Over all I have been pretty happy with mine. I may have a piece you can have Blake how big you looking for?

Roughly 8'x4'

I guess I just want the lightest stuff that is fairy cheap, tough, and waterproof. I had presumed that this was tyvek, but maybe i'm wrong.

You greedy son of a bitch, yesterday I mailed (on my own dime) the young man a piece of tyvek 9' x 12' for free. Why would he want to buy your obviously second rate tyvek?

And on that note, anyone want to buy a 4x12 or 4x4 section from me now that i've cut my piece out of crazy's gift? yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif. Thanks a lot crazyjz, it arrived in the mail today. IF you are ever in bellingham, or are looking for a climbing parter, here's one that will be sure to provide for HCL.gif & bigdrink.gif on any outing with ya.

While Tyvek is rated as moisture vapor permeable, do you really thing that something like polyethylene sheet is vapor impermeable?

Think again.

Almost any plastic film will transmit moisture vapor (or in fact any other vapor). The differences are how fast. I don't have figures, but I'll bet you probably not notice the difference overnight with either as a ground sheet.

• 2 weeks later...

Tyvek has a spec'd hydrostatic head (the pressure required to drive water through the fabric, in this case) of 56 to 83 inches of water, which equates to 2 to 3 psi...not very much, but certainly enough to keep out most wind driven rain. web page1 web page2 web page3

But, not enough to keep water from seeping through under body weight. I'm not about to calculate the size of your ass and divide it into your weight to see what psi it might exert, but suffice it to say you'd probably get wet sitting on most Tyvek on wet ground.

I recalled from working in Tyvek suits that I'd often get a wet knee when kneeling on wet ground so just now I set a wet sponge on the floor, placed a layer of Tyvek coveralls on it, and kneeled on it for 10 seconds....voila...wet jeans.

If you're set on the durability and light weight of Tyvek, I'd suggest finding some that is coated with polyethylene or saran (not to be confused with sarin). Google Saranex for some ideas.

In any case, try the wet sponge-tyvek-knee routine on what you get/got and let us know.

And for a little CBS-style trivia, Tyvek isn't very good at preventing drugs from passing through it... web page

(yours truly in my favorite shade of Tyvek)

435937-31788048G.jpg.88141caf39d6fa11d4869a3111f513c7.jpg

Edited by Thinker