Soup?

ChrisT

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need.

1) Miso - buy at asian market NOT hippy health food store.

2) Han Dashi -- this is for quick and dirty recipe, instant fish broth, main ingredient is MSG, but mmm mmm good.

or

Dried sardines (sold in bags at asian market), cut off heads and gut. Bring to a brief boil in a large pot and skim filth. Strain broth. You have created a traditional Dashi soup base for miso soup.

3) Cut wakame. Usually comes in a packet, they look tiny, but you sprinkle them in the soup at the end and man do they expand.

4) Cut fresh green onion.

5) firm silken tofu, cut in cubes.

Make Dashi, Mix miso with small amount of broth to thin, then add to pot of broth. Add in tofu and green onion (you can boil these first, but don't boil with miso added because you loose healthy benefits). Add wakame. Serve.

P.S. Hippies make it with just miso. You are dumb. That is not miso soup.

You can make anything into soup by boiling it, and keeping the broth instead of draining it. The trick is to add flavour along the way. Wine, beer, pickle juice, stock cubes, broth from other sources (eg. you boiled some veggies the other day and kept the water), bones, vegetable oil and soy sauce will all work. Then add spices while simmering.

seinfeld_soup_nazi_180x180_082520031202.jpg

No soup for you!

Grouper Head Soup

Put the heads in a big pot & boil them down to get a fish broth, pick all the meat to make a fish chowder. Its easy to pour the entire mess through a seive to start with a good broth, add milk, seasonings, onions, potatoes, carrots, corn, tomatos, or what you like. Comes out more a fish stew than a soup. You'll be amazed at how much meat is in a big grouper's head. You can substitute cabazone or cod for grouper, but there isn't typically as much meat.

You need.

1) Miso - buy at asian market NOT hippy health food store.

2) Han Dashi -- this is for quick and dirty recipe, instant fish broth, main ingredient is MSG, but mmm mmm good.

or

Dried sardines (sold in bags at asian market), cut off heads and gut. Bring to a brief boil in a large pot and skim filth. Strain broth. You have created a traditional Dashi soup base for miso soup.

3) Cut wakame. Usually comes in a packet, they look tiny, but you sprinkle them in the soup at the end and man do they expand.

4) Cut fresh green onion.

5) firm silken tofu, cut in cubes.

Make Dashi, Mix miso with small amount of broth to thin, then add to pot of broth. Add in tofu and green onion (you can boil these first, but don't boil with miso added because you loose healthy benefits). Add wakame. Serve.

P.S. Hippies make it with just miso. You are dumb. That is not miso soup.

mmmmmmm...me so happy fruit.gif

Deep fried Mars Bar soup.

OMG don't get me started!!

Potatos, leeks, cook in chicken broth with pepper and spices (maybe coriander or rosemary,) then run it through the food processor til creamy and reheat. Make fresh bread for dunking. mmmmm!

You can put just about anything in with ichiban and make good soup (except tuna - just doesn't go somehow) but my favorite is to throw in a can of baked beans in tomato sauce. excellent camp soup.

Dru's Hot Soup

Grate 2 large organic Fountain Valley carrots

Cube one PEI russet potato, or two purple potatoes.

Chop 2 or 3 cloves garlic.

Chop half a red onion.

In large pot, put some bacon fat saved from the last time you fried bacon, or use some canola oil. Heat. Sautee garlic, onion potato until onion begins to go translucent.

Add grated carrot and the remnant pickle juice left after you eat all the pickles out of a jar.

When mixture begins to boil, dilute with cold water and the remnants of last night's bottle of red wine, or half of the cook's beer. Add fresh ground black pepper, bay leaf, a lot of curry powder (maybe 1 tbsp or so) and a tsp or two dry mustard. Bring back to slow boil. Simmer.

Add a handful or scoop of red lentils and simmer until lentils have cooked.

Add one cut up orange or yellow bell pepper. Simmer 5 minutes more. Serve hot with crusty bread. cheeburga_ron.gif

Hey, you know I might just try to get rid of those damn brussel sprouts in my freezer that way...

What could I add that would make that work?

A bottle of vodka?

Haha. I was thinking brandy actually, and the vodka for anasthetic in case its as gross as I think it will be.

As far as "garbage soup" I think that recipe rocks, I'm gonna try it.

All soup is garbage soup, ChrisT, have you ever worked in a restaurant? What do think a "stock pot" is. Any busy kitchen I ever saw had a bucket where things like celery tops and carrot ends went, and lots of over crisped bacon and chicken bones and everything wasted but remotely edible would eventually get cooked for a day or two to create soup stock.

Hmm some of my favorites are:

Potato Leek (cause it is so damn easy to make, don't need a blender either, strain potatos and mash with fork and return broth)

Chicken Noodle or Barley

Corn Chowder

Fish Cowder

Borscht (sounds like your a veggie ChrisT, may want to check this one out)

Portugese HCL.gif Stew

Cream of any green veggie (souper easy to make)

Butternut Squash with Gruyere (mmmm mmm good)

French Onion

Tom Khar Kai

Tis soup season