Helmet - Check

Chocolate Almonds - Check

Iain's HH Tape – Check

Extra adipose tissue to keep me warm - Check

Motivation to ski a resort instead of BC – Hmm, not sure

I woke up to this:

Mt. Hood Meadows Won’t Open This Weekend

Lifts will not operate Saturday or Sunday, December 11 or 12

MT. HOOD, OR (December 11, 2004) – Talk about raining on your parade. Opening weekend at Mt. Hood Meadows has been postponed because of the considerable amount of rain Mt. Hood has received the past few days. Mt. Hood Meadows has suspended lift operations for both Saturday, December 11 and Sunday December 12. A pending opening will be determined on a day-to-day basis.

Resort Vice President and General Manager Dave Riley says, “We did everything we could to try to open, but the steady rain we received over the past two days just saturated the snow. If we can’t offer a quality product, then there’s no sense in opening the lifts. We feel badly, both for our guests who can’t wait to start the season, and for our staff members who really want to come to work. However, we maintain our optimism – history shows that Mt. Hood – will receive a considerable amount of snow.”

Barker do you mean Sat or Sunday? Sunday at Meadows there were a few inches on new in wind-sheltered and leeward areas, everything else was bulletproof. Relative to the past 8 weeks, in the right spots it really wasn't that bad though the rain runnels were pretty interesting.

When you say "shuttle Alpine", do you mean the Alpine trail that runs to Government Camp? Does Timberline operate a shuttle from Govy to Tline?

Thudman in the "powder" yesterday:

jason3.jpg

Dude... Nice pic!

Sunday was aweful.

Shoulda gone Saturday.

When I say we shuttled... we left a car at Govy and then drove to the top... we were feelin' lazy.

If weren't getting blown across the parking lot by hurricane force winds, we woulda skinned up higher...

How bad was coverage on the Alpine?

Did it last Sunday and the beargrass was sticking up through the powder. Best to stick in the luge track (which was interesting at twilight w/o a headlamp)

How bad was coverage on the Alpine?

Did it last Sunday and the beargrass was sticking up through the powder. Best to stick in the luge track (which was interesting at twilight w/o a headlamp)

Grass and rocks.

And LOTS of bulletproof ice.

It needs another six inches before it's worth doing.

It sucks when even the emergency backup option is so bad...

But I'm new to the area and maybe that's as good as it gets!

The Alpine trail can be a BLAST especially once the kickers go in. Problem is, I'm always running it at the end of a long day of skiing so my thighs get absolutely thrashed. It's a great run and you're guaranteed to get a hitch back up the t-line road if you do it during the day. Really popular with the young boarders who don't want to lay down a lot of cash for a lift ticket.