guide books

corvallisclimb

oregon has not seen a complete rock climbing guide like the dodge guide for 30 years or when ever the last edition was published. is there just a lack of want or need for something like this through out the oregon climbing community. or just no one has wanted to get up off there ass and embark on a project like that. there is a lot of stuff out there choss and no choss, and more exploration to be had. what are other peoples inputs on this sort of thing? snaf.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Falcon produces one, I am sure it will suck like the Arizona and Washington ones do. I say let the locals produce there own guides to their local spots. May be the local guide sales could fund some Crag maintenance. There are so many small local crags around Oregon I doubt one or two people could collaborate and produce something accurate.

If Falcon produces one, I am sure it will suck like the Arizona and Washington ones do. I say let the locals produce there own guides to their local spots.

Aren't most of the Falcon guidebooks just rebadged guidebooks written by locals that Falcon acquired by buying up the local publisher confused.gif

They have some crappy books, but also excellent ones written by local climbers like Eric Horst's Rock Climbing Va, W Va & MD

I can't speak to those you mention, but the Washington State Falcon guide pretty much sucks. For example the section on Darrigton appears to be written by someone who has either not climbed there for a decade or at all. Like wise I used the guide to Arizona and it also was very lame. However, some smaller non-brand name guides kick ass such as the CD guide to Darrington that D. Whitlaw put out or a host of other Washingto guides. I think sticking with the small guides lets local area people get some credit and fundage for their work.

I like the local guides because they bring some personality to the place too. Reading Watts' Smith Rock guide for example definitely gets you in "smith mode" and Jeff Thomas' Oregon High sets the mood with good history in the oregon cascades. And these aren't even exactly "small local" guides.

I like opening up the smith guide back home and having bits of sagebrush fall out too smile.gif

I like the local guides because they bring some personality to the place too. Reading Watts' Smith Rock guide for example definitely gets you in "smith mode" and Jeff Thomas' Oregon High sets the mood with good history in the oregon cascades. And these aren't even exactly "small local" guides.

I like opening up the smith guide back home and having bits of sagebrush fall out too smile.gif

umm. Iain - did you know The Smith Rock guidebook is published by Falcon?

Considering how big just the Smith Rocks second edition is (need SUV to carry it around in), a complete Oregon guide would probably require multiple Brittanica-sized volumes and the destruction of thousands of acres of old growth forest for pulpwood.

I am aware of who publishes the Smith Rock guidebooks. I was just saying I like the idea of keeping a local guidebook, rather than something like the washington rock book, as the guidebook can enhance a visit to an area with history etc. more than just illustrating routes.

If you want to write a guide book - Be prepared to have everybody who was asked for info, seen requests for info and did not respond, who knew somebody was writing one but did not want anybody to know thier special place, etc be your worst critic when it appears in print - "I did the first of that route", "Its a lower grade than that", The worst route description I have ever seen" - Over a beer or two, Nick Dodge, Jeff Thomas, and Greg Orton have told me stories of how people seem only be able to spot errors after the fact.

Two yrs. ago or so I heard rummors that some lady was writing an OR scrambles book. I'm guessing that it would not cover anything over class 3 (Wallowa/Cascades/Elkhorns scrambles?). Would love to see an updated Dodge or Thomas -type guidebooks. Orton is supposedly working on 2nd edition to his (excellent IMHO) book that will incorporate Jim Anglin's Menagerie guide.

On the flip side, having old Dodge or Thomas guides as your ONLY sources for beta makes for some rewarding pinnacle bagging / choss thrashing.

So what happened to Watts's updated edition smile.gif ?

Two yrs. ago or so I heard rummors that some lady was writing an OR scrambles book. I'm guessing that it would not cover anything over class 3 (Wallowa/Cascades/Elkhorns scrambles?)

I heard about that too. I know she was working on it last year. It will be put out by the mountaineers and prolly match the Washington version.

Yes, it is true that "a lady" (me) started an OR scrambles book nearly two years ago. I did the last scramble in August - so it's done!

The book is coming out in Spring 2005.

Includes stuff like Mount Thielsen, but mostly 3rd class.

Wallowas, Strawberries, Elkhorns, SE peaks, etc.

The Dodge book is still a good resource, I like his understated descriptions.

blush.gif

Yes, it is true that "a lady" (me) started an OR scrambles book nearly two years ago. I did the last scramble in August - so it's done!

The book is coming out in Spring 2005.

Includes stuff like Mount Thielsen, but mostly 3rd class.

Wallowas, Strawberries, Elkhorns, SE peaks, etc.

The Dodge book is still a good resource, I like his understated descriptions.

blush.gif

I can "QA" the material if you want to email me a copy!!! smirk.gif

Damn... hurry up and get that badboy printed; sounds cool.

ORScrambles,

Please tell me more about it now that you've peaked my curiosity. What other peaks are in the book - esp. curious about SE Oregon ones & any other less-traveled ones. Thanks!

Looking forward to buying that baby in Spring '05!