MEC gear

anotherlin

Hi,

One simple question: how's the quality of MEC's stuff?

I'm especially interested by their northern lite jacket,

the technical trekking pant, and their fleece stuff.

Basically, they use the same material as TNF, MH,

Patagucci, or Arc'teryx, but they are way cheaper. Built

in Canada mostly, and contrary to REI, MEC seems to have

a clearer policy on social issues, which is good.

Also, is it easy to order from the US?

Cheers,

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My $.02

MEC branded stuff is usually well designed, made of good materials, and low in price. My brother has a pair of fall line bibs that he loves. I have a pair of softshell bibs and some cycling clothing. I haven't had any thing long enough to personally comment on its longevity but what I have heard is all good. I will likely pick up one of those pullovers if I head that way any time this winter.

Its just a pain in the moon.gif to get in the US unless you intend to go through Vancouver or have a Canadian friend.

why is it a pain in the ass? For mail ordering MEC brand clothing isn't it just the same as any other online mail order outfit?

they have restrictions on mail order of stuff like climbing hardware, but I don't think these restrictions apply to the clothing

MEC gear rocks! Well thought out, functional, great prices. I've got a Northern Lite Pullover, softshell pants, and a bunch of other stuff. I've never been dissappointed. The N. Lite is really great; though not incredibly warm, it is really light, works well in wind, and is surprisingly tough.

Another big thumbs_up.gif for MEC branded clothes.

Unless people are talkin' about the stuff that MEC can't ship outside of Canada (which is like 75% of their inventory, thanks to REI leaning on their suppliers/distributors to cut MEC out of the US market), ordering from them is no problem, like Fern mentioned.

-kurt

I ended up paying like a 15% -20% premium over their advertised price on a Brio 50 cl backpack, once I paid high shipping costs plus membership fee. However, the pack was advertised at C$65 on close-out, so my total cost was whatever, & quality nearly equaled something like a US$200 pack among alternatives. I think the design is a little funky (but good) and quality slightly less than premium, but I'm getting to like the thing very much.

___