wow... something to erally think about

Fence_Sitter

i puled this off of adbusters.com sent chills down my spine...

America

When I think of America and this summit, I will always remember a single moment. No, it isn't Colin Powell looking almost frightened as his speech was disrupted again and again by angry, shouting delegates, many of them his fellow Americans. It isn't the American delegation's breathtaking arrogance as they declared the US the world nation most committed to sustainability. It isn't their rejection of the Kyoto Protocol, or their refusal to accept real targets for renewable energy, or even their long fight against a fixed goal for supplying the world's poorest people with clean water. None of these. What I'll always remember is driving through Johannesburg, listening to talk radio. A stream of angry callers was denouncing the US, but one in particular stood out. It was a man's voice, calm, accented with Zulu. Here's what he said: "It is high time that the rest of the world declared war on the United States."

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have been to several nations in Africa and I saw the anger towards the US.

In reality it mostly seemed that ideas and thoughts were funneled through these minds with the negativity to the US.

If they want to fight then bring em on and "let's start a war" as quoted by The Exploited. [laf]

S Africa has some the most powerfull and destructibe tanks on that continent. Posssibly advanced enough to rival the M1. But the numbers dont match.

yah but the thing that gets me is that more and more countries are getting fed up with our shit... true every counrty has its faults...but propaganda or not the nations of the world are pissed at us and i dont care what kind of weapons we have hidden here we cant fight them all... and greek...go fuck your self you puss

While we know that there are folks out there who don’t like America’s government and Americans, from the exotic Osama bin Laden to our homegrown, corn-fed Timothy McVeigh, let’s put the quote into perspective. Two words, amigos y amigas: talk radio. It’s doesn’t exist to nurture thoughtful discussion designed to enlighten and broaden the mind, but to shock with extremely polemic statements. The show’s moderators and gatekeepers see to that. It’s what the audience wants, it’s what the advertisers and underwriters want. And it’s certainly fun to be the one who utters dramatic statements, eh? Makes one feel all puffy and important. Witness my next paragraph.

Yup, there are those who are out to get us, but that’s always been the case and as we segue from Republic to Empire, it’s the price we’re going to pay. Just desserts? You decide, gentle reader.

Gawd, I miss the commies!

Double gawd, I’ve been sucked into the vortex of chatting on cc.com! Aiiiiieeeeeeeee! Is there no 12 step program? [Wink]

Jonathan

quote:

Originally posted by trask:

I could care less what the world says about America. I think it's high time we quit babysitting and bankrolling the world. Fuck em' all .... let's just worry about ourselves and only our most loyal, steadfast allys. My guns are loaded and ready.

Did you ever think that America is bankrolling and babysitting the world because they are worrying about themselves. Trade partners, allies, foreign markets and the such would be lost. America would suffer just as bad as the countries affected. So go ahead.....MAKE MY DAY [Mad][Moon]

I worked in a smal clothing store for 4 years. we sold all cotten clothes that were made in the US, and that was one of our main selling points because it is so rare and expensive to find clothing made in the US. so I guess my question isn't so much what do we need from other countries? but more, what are we willing to do for ourselves?

My answer to you SK, is we relearn to do for ourselves. Time for the rebirth of America. I think if we'd quit meddling in the third world's business, they'd lose the hardon they have for us now. Let's take care of our own and quit worrying about everybody else. Fuck the middle east...let em' blow the shit out of each other. May the best man win!

Try forest products....(that is, wood & paper, most of which is imported from Canucks and others). Or, we could just use less....

...yeah, like that'll happen!

I don't see a lot of bananas (most popular fruit in the US) grown here, either, but presumably they would be easier to do without.

The US economy would quickly collapse without the global network. If overseas investment in the US alone ended suddenly, it would send businesses spiralling to destruction here. It would be the end of society as we know it! Yay!

I agree to a certin extent. I for one would like to see manufacturing companies move back to the US and employ people here at as fair wadge. I would like to see people able to aford the clothes, cars, and other things that they make... back to the ideal that Henry Ford set out to make happen.

Yeah, but I think Ford was wrong on that one. I believe he said that the economy would not survive if workers couldn't afford the products that they were making. I don't know why he said this - would the workers revolt? That's exactly what is happening in many parts of the world - workers are making shoes, clothes, toys, computer chips, etc. that they cannot afford themselves.